Hi, am looking for respite care for my 15 year old — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, am looking for respite care for my 15 year old

Options
Nalongo
Nalongo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, am looking for respite care for my 15 year old child.  He has behavioural needs.  All I need is a week break, but he has to be living away from here. Does any know what I need to do?  I have no family that he can go to, i need a week break to cater for my other kids 4 kids (2 of which have special needs.)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

This would be something your local council Social Services would need to deal with, have you spoken to them? Has your child had a needs assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Nalongo and welcome to our community.  How are you doing?  Being a carer can be really tough so I appreciate you needing respite soon.  

As @poppy123456 suggests, your first point of call would be your local authority's social care team.  Is this something you've looked into before?  If not, make sure to contact them.

You might also find our Parents and Carers discussion board interesting to read for some support from people in similar circumstances.  

I hope you are getting on okay.  Please let us know if you need any more help.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Nalongo - & welcome to the community. I hope you find the advice above useful, as I can understand your need to have a break. Meanwhile there's usually someone here if you want to talk or need support.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One other thing to also point out is that you may not be able to get any respite care at the moment because of the pandemic. You may also not be able to get a needs assessment. This will depend on your local council and whether they are doing house calls at the moment, i know my local council aren't and haven't since the first lockdown began.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness