Community Advent Calendar Day 6 - Virtual Christmas party and team Q&A - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Community Advent Calendar Day 6 - Virtual Christmas party and team Q&A

2»

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I popped out and brought some more twiglets and some malteesers. no worries.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing @leeCal, who wants to share the Malteasers?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Great leeCal, I haven't had twiglets for years, thank you. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Is anybody still at this party? Look at me, dancing all on my own !

Also, any more questions for the community team? Whether it be related to working on the community or us as people, we don't mind :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Slips quietly in watching @Ross_Scope dancing to Dominick the Donkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5wXojemRM for those who don't know Dominick 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ross_Alumni
    You can't sneak into this party @Geoark, I saw yo ! 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    <Dances into thread to Destiny's Child 8 days of Christmas>

I've not answered any questions yet, so here are my thoughts on a few!

@chiarieds
    I would like to ask how you've all found it as Online Community Coordinators? Is the role easier/harder than you'd thought it might be?

It's been more varied than I anticipated, for sure!  The easier bits for me are the light-hearted chats with members that I hope provide company and laughter on days that are hard.  I truly appreciate having a job where I can speak to others directly and hopefully make a difference, no matter how small, to their daily lives.  The moments where I feel I've helped are priceless and really do make it all worth it.

The tougher bits are the limits of being part of an online only service.  Sometimes I, and the team as a whole, feel frustrated that we can't do more to support people.  We really endeavour to provide as comprehensive a service as possible via signposting and advice, but this is an aspect I have on occasion struggled with.

Have your views changed as to what the community is?

Not really.  I had visited briefly (lurked) before getting the job and I knew what a lovely community it already was.  I had perhaps underestimated the expertise amongst the members and continue to be blown away by all your knowledge.  Bravo everyone! 

Do you think it helps having 3 of you here? Have you met each other, or just 'meet' online?

Definitely, I am very thankful I started with Ross and Tori.  They have been so much fun to be around, albeit virtually, and our mix of characters works a treat.  It's great to see them both developing in their roles, and as I'm a bit older, I sometimes feel like a proud mum :) 

What do you now think you bring to the forum (this might have changed from when you first started)?

I hope I bring a welcoming 'face', an upbeat personality and empathetic, thoughtful replies.  I've a whole rucksack of lived experience of one thing and another, and I think this helps me relate to people's struggles.  Although I know I've still so much to learn (my benefits knowledge is woeful, ha), I'm determined to progress and get better so I can be better for you lot  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Cher_Scope aka 'Mamma Bear Cher.'
    - It's interesting to hear an 'older' person's perspective (just hope you don't need to retire soon!). :) I hope you will be a Community Coordinator for a long time too. We'll club together for your 'virtual' zimmer frame of course. :)
    - You're the only one whose views about the community haven't changed; perhaps you 'lurked' beforehand longer......?
    - The general consensus seems to be that you've all benefitted from having each other; long may it last, as it seems to work very well. With 3 of you it certainly does help that a member of the Scope team is about for longer hours + the weekend. I sometimes wish I knew who was about, as I don't know who to tag for help/advice on occasion.
    - Yes, you do show that you care, which is as important as knowledge.
    Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds :D You have busted me as a long-time lurker.  Thank you for your kind comments.  I know the team appreciates your warmth and knowledge on the community too.  

We take it in turns to do weekend shifts, doing one in every three each and it tends to go: Me > Ross > Tori.  I hope that helps you know who is about, but we don't mind being tagged if ever you are unsure.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Brightness