Join Scope's Gaming for Good co-production group — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Join Scope's Gaming for Good co-production group

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2021 in Coffee lounge

*Update

Unfortunately the group has now been finalised and is not looking for anymore members at this stage, however, we are keen to ensure everyone who wants to can contribute, so we’d love to keep you updated on the project as it develops and involve you on a more ad-hoc basis. This could include completing surveys and sharing views on aspects of the event or fundraising activities, or helping us understand more about barriers disabled gamers face.

All we would need is your consent to keep your email address on a mailing list, so those organising the group can keep you updated. If you have a preference for what email address goes on the list, please email us privately on community@scope.org.uk to grant your consent, otherwise just pop a comment on this thread and I will pass on the email address associated with your community account.

Gaming for Good co-production group

From challenging friends to a gaming tournament, to testing endurance with 24-hour gaming marathons, ‘gaming for good’ is fast becoming a popular way to fundraise and support charities.
The Public Fundraising team are looking into new fundraising activities through gaming, this new income stream will allow Scope to reach new audiences and diversify our fundraising activity.

The group

We're forming a Gaming Co-production group to help design the fundraiser and ensure it’s genuinely accessible, inclusive, and built with disabled people from the very start.
    The group will be formed of disabled gamers and streamers, and experts in the field of accessible gaming.

Get involved

Join our Gaming for Good co-production group and help us design an epic gaming fundraiser. To find out more and register your interest, follow the link below.

Join the group

disabled young man playing a video game with his friend
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
      66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
      Can you explain a little bit more what the group will involve? What kind of things will be discussed? Or, is that being left open for now?

Will it be like a Zoom meeting?
    • Ross_Alumni
      edited December 2020
      Of course @66Mustang, this is from the web page:

Co-production workshops

A few details about the workshops:

• they will be hosted online
      • will take place once a month, from January to May to begin with
      • last about 2 hours

We will:

• make sure the groups are accessible to everyone attending
      • offer group members payment for their time
      Hope this helps, and needless to say if any participant has any adjustments they would require then the team would be happy to support with this.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
    • 66Mustang
      I did read that page but I still don't really understand what it's all about :D I'm mostly wondering what kind of things will be going on and how people will take part. Or are these things being intentionally left open so as to be able to accommodate everyone's needs and not potentially exclude anyone?

Sorry if I am being a bit dim.

I have been in a co-production group before - for a hospital I was a patient at - and it was like a monthly meeting to discuss issues raised and try to address them, and eat biscuits. Is this something similar but done virtually?
    • Globster
      Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
      @Ross_Scope
      I am interested in getting involved but not sure what group do?

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• OverlyAnxious
      OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
      I don't really get it either...  :#

Is it more aimed at gamers with physical disabilities or does it include mental issues as well?
    • Ross_Alumni
      Hi @66Mustang, @Globster and @OverlyAnxious

Thank you for commenting and I'm sorry for the confusion around what the group will be doing. I will try to clarify this as soon as I possibly can, I want to give you as much information as possible.

Thanks, and my apologies.

• [Deleted User]
      [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
      I signed up.

I've been a gamer for nigh on 40 years.

• Ross_Alumni
      Thanks for signing up @MrAllen1976, that's great to hear.

Sorry about yesterday's confusion @66Mustang, @Globster and @OverlyAnxious. I've asked the relevant team within Scope for further information about this and I hope the below helps:

So, the co-production group will help Scope design and shape what our fundraising activity around gaming will entail. The group will advise on areas such as: 

• design and visuals of any fundraising activity, from the promotion to the activities themselves
      • the details of the fundraising activity (what the activity is, when it might happen, how it might happen, fundraising targets and so on)
      • how Scope reaches out to people to get them on board with using gaming as a fundraising activity 

Every element of how Scope can use gaming in the future will be discussed in the co-production group, members will have opportunity to talk about their personal experience of gaming, and their thoughts on how gaming can be accessible, as well as how Scope can offer game related activities that are both enjoyable and accessible.

As an example, a "Gaming for Good" style activity could be something such as a person doing a live stream on Twitch, during which they could raise donations for a charity of their choice. This could also take on other forms, and as members of the group you would have the opportunity to influence the sort of activities that Scope would promote to people.

Hope this helps

• 66Mustang
      Thanks @Ross_Scope :)

I don’t think I’m “qualified” enough to take part as I’m just a casual gamer, I don’t do anything to do with gaming outside of the actual game, like visit gaming communities or stream or watch others on Twitch. Also I don’t really have any disability that many people can relate to so I think it’s probably best to leave the spots open to those with more “mainstream” disabilities so that the outcome of the group can be relevant to a greater number of people.

Thanks for bringing this opportunity up though and I will be following how it goes with interest :)
    • Ross_Alumni
      Hi @66Mustang, thanks for getting back to me.

You absolutely are qualified enough to take part, lived experience and the thoughts of those who just play games from a disabled person's perspective are very much welcome with this piece of work.

But of course, the choice is yours whether you apply or not and I absolutely respect your thoughts on it :) 

• Globster
      Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
      Hello @Ross_Scope
      I don't think ether qualified because I just play games ps4 casual gamer with cerebral palsy 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• WestHam06
      WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
      edited December 2020
      Hi @Ross_Scope
                                    Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I am quite interested in this opportunity but wondered if I could please ask a couple of questions. Firstly, I would not regard myself as a gamer, only other than mainly playing FIFA on PS4, would this level of experience be enough? Secondly, I have no involvement in online gaming through choice, I only play against my siblings or the game itself, would this level of knowledge be enough and would I need to become involved in online gaming as part of the group? Thirdly, would the group involve sharing thoughts on how best to make a virtual gaming fundraising opportunity for Scope or would it also involve other elements such as speaking about the production? I'm sorry for so many questions, I hope that they make sense. Thank you. 
    • Ross_Alumni
      Hi @Globster
      Everyone is qualified for this, you simply just need to be passionate about gaming, any one can express their interest :) 

Hi @WestHam06
      In answer to your first 2 questions, yes it's absolutely enough, anybody can apply to this :) You simply need to be passionate about gaming and have the desire to influence how Scope uses gaming going forward.

I'm not sure if you would be required to speak about the production, I believe your primary aim would be to assist and advise Scope on how to best incorporate gaming into our fundraising activity, and make it accessible. Your personal experience will count for so much and you don't need to be an expert in any field. Whether you play online gaming or not isn't an issue :) 

Hope this helps

Furthermore, you can always apply and request to find out more about exactly what you'll be doing, and what sorts of things you may need to know about, and I'm sure the team will gladly have those conversations with you. If you still then felt as though it's not for you, that's no problem.

• 66Mustang
      OK I signed up but I stated I don’t have any disability which significantly affects my ability to play games and am happy if somebody else more suited takes a place in the group instead of me. :) I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with the group regardless of if I’m in it or not. :)
    • WestHam06
      WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
      Hi @Ross_Scope
                                    Thank you so much for answering my questions, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to do this. I think I will apply and find out more, it does sound like a fantastic opportunity as well as a learning opportunity. Thank you once again.
    • Globster
      @Ross_Scope
       I appreciate your advice greatly appreciate taking you about it 
      I think fantastic opportunity as to learning opportunity as well so I have applied for the opportunity 

• Cher_Alumni
      Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
      It's great to see everyone's enthusiasm.  Please keep us updated with how you all find it and make sure not to hide your light under a bushel!  Although you feel you might not be qualified enough your individual knowledge and lived experience makes you voices we desperately need to hear.   Good luck :)
      Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• [Deleted User]
      [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
      It's great to see everyone's enthusiasm.  Please keep us updated with how you all find it and make sure not to hide your light under a bushel!  Although you feel you might not be qualified enough your individual knowledge and lived experience makes you voices we desperately need to hear.   Good luck :)
      Thanks for posting the edited version of that piece I wrote on my nearly 40 years of gaming last week.

If you want me to do a guest Blog about anything else let me know, I'm happy to write about almost anything (except Politics)

• Cher_Alumni
      Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
      Thanks for posting the edited version of that piece I wrote on my nearly 40 years of gaming last week.

If you want me to do a guest Blog about anything else let me know, I'm happy to write about almost anything (except Politics)

No, thank you @MrAllen1976

We all enjoyed reading it and I'll bear in mind your kind offer! :)
      Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Ross_Alumni
      Thanks to those of you who have taken part, it's greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can get some community representation in the group. I'm also excited to see how it progresses, I'm honestly jealous that I can't apply myself :D 

Brightness