Is it possible to backdate a PIP claim to, say early 2018? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it possible to backdate a PIP claim to, say early 2018?

Options
LittleKitten
LittleKitten Community member Posts: 47 Connected
Is this possible? I ask since I didn't know about PIP earlier, or I would have made a claim earlier. I am currently waiting to hear back about my PIP claim that I made in September this year, so if I get the award, then I would have been eligible from early 2018, but as I said, I did not know about PIP so did not know to start a claim.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome unfortunately it isnt possible to backdate unless you actually made a claim and had an assessment 

Good luck for your recent claim 
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    Okay, thanks, and I'm hoping I should get my entitlement letter end of February/early March.
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    Can you make some sort of a retroactive claim, then? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry no you cant 

Have you had your assessment yet for your claim 
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    I had the assessment on monday.
  • LittleKitten
    Options
    Are there any benefits like PIP that I might be able to claim, that I can backdate to then?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Two points, one if you had your assessment on Monday then early January you can phone and ask for a copy of the report, which should give you some idea of the award you might get.
    There are no benefits that you can have back-dated to 2018 the fact that you didn't know about them means nothing, sorry
    Happy Christmas
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• LittleKitten
    Options
    Alright, well thank you for clarifying, :) Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,184 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

If it was possible to do this then everyone would be doing exactly this and that will never be possible.

Whether you're entitled to any other benefits will totally depend on your personal circumstances. PIP is a disability benefit and is the only benefit that doesn't consider your ability to work.

There are no benefits that can be backdated to 2018.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.