Christmas challenge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas challenge

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
edited December 2020 in Coffee lounge
I am having trouble finding the thread so making a new one just to say that I managed to drive over 150 miles in December on motorways and dual carriageways. I didn't manage to go out on my own yet however but will work on that in 2021.

I am really pleased with this as my obsessive thoughts have been louder recently and I have had to really push myself to drive on a difficult road every time I went out for a drive.

Sadly I couldn't find anyone to donate me some money for Scope for doing it but I have to thank Scope for encouraging me to do something I find difficult. I know driving on the motorway doesn't sound much but I really find it hard due to obsessive thoughts that I am going to crash the car and it's the psychological equivalent of walking as a disabled person for me i.e. is simple for most people but hard/impossible for some.

Thank you everyone for reading. :)

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    The main thing is you took on a challenge that was difficult for you, so you have achieved so much. I'm sure the Scope team will applaud you, & be pleased you took it on because of Scope.
    I'm also very pleased to read you're 'pleased' in more than managing so much. So, congratulations @66Mustang !! :)
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    Thank you @chiarieds, I really appreciate your kind words :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited December 2020
    Well done on challenging yourself @66Mustang
    As someone that doesn’t take much joy from driving I can appreciate that this wasn’t easy for you. 

Do you have a goal in mind for January?  
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope :)

Oddly I absolutely love driving on the country lanes and on race tracks but motorways and dual carriageways cause me real issues. I have a few ideas as to why: it could be that there’s more traffic; or it could be that on a country road I’m allowed to stop whenever I want/need to if I have a wobble but on a motorway that “safety net” isn’t there, but I need to work through it with a professional I think.

Thanks for asking, my goal for January is going to be to get ahead with my study but I will try to keep up with the motorway driving as well :)

Thank you :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done you @66Mustang its always good to push yourself but often not easy you have every right to be proud of yourself...onward and upward in 2021.

I had to stop driving when my epilepsy started 23 years ago, i was 38 and used to drive 40,000 miles a year, the strange thing is I don't miss it at all, and I know people often find that strange they will look me in the eye and say "you can't drive aww poor you, how you must miss it"
    Good luck with your goals for January.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Thanks @woodbine. Sorry to hear you had to give up driving as it does bring some independence, even if you don’t miss it, but I guess that mitigates the loss a bit!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Nice one @66Mustang :) Good luck with the A Level as we move into 2021, too. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness