Walking distance question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Walking distance question

Options
samahira
samahira Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
hi
can anyone tell me how to answer the distance question. I am due to call dwp and I am little concern they may ask about my mobility. I hardly go out for a walk. 

Regards

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi when you do go out for a walk how far can you walk?, its not a trick question and theres no right or wrong answer, do you use a walking stick or other aid? can you do it safely ? can you do it repeatedly?
    If you google "pip and walking" it will give you some ideas.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• justlooking88
    justlooking88 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    They will ask you examples, so if you can think of some it would be helpful. 

E.g

When I go to the supermarket it takes about 1-2 minutes to walk from the car to the shop, then I have to sit on a bench and rest because of my pain while my partner gets a trolley, I have to stop every 1, 2 3 etc aisles otherwise my pain becomes much worse, on a bad day I wouldn’t go or I’d sit in the cafe. If I went on a Wednesday then I’d have to leave it 2-3 days because increased pain and fatigue.

or

i walk to the co-op 3 days a week, it takes 5 minutes but I have to stop once and rest because of breathless, on the other days I wouldn’t be able to because it would over exert me

or 

I can only walk to and from the bathroom but it take me 2 minutes to walk 20 steps and I have to lean against the walls for support.

If you have no examples then that’s ok, just explain why, e.g cannot walk outside due to pain etc

If you’ve fallen talk about how often and why they happened and then how did you get up etc

that’s the sort of information they should be asking and looking for. A good HP will look for examples of what you can and cannot do and then follow them through.

hope it helps a bit.
  • samahira
    Options
  • samahira
    Options
    Thank you for your detailed examples. Very helpful
  • samahira
    Options
    I was asked to call dwp if I want to carry on with my pip which will end March 2021. I called today and I was asked to provide basic information name, address, account details, health professionals looking after me, etc. They will send a form to fill in with my condition. It seems like a new application. But last time I had to go to tribunal to get higher rate for both. I was hopping they would renew without any forms as my condition is still the same. Would appreciate if Anyone can give some advice.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Ah, if you mentioned the Tribunal award previously, i missed that. The phone call today is normal procedure and the questions you were asked is the first part of your claim (PIP1 form) You will now be sent more PIP2 forms to fill in with all your information which will need to be sent back by the date on the letter, although you can ask for an extension of time by ringing DWP. Yes, it's a new claim.

Expect a telephone assessment, which most people are having. Paper based assessments are still rare. If a decision hasn't been made by the date my March 2021 then your PIP will end. If awarded successfully then it will be backdated to the date it stopped.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • samahira
    Options
    Thank you for explaining. Because I had to go tribunal is that the reason for the new claim?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. Yes that's the reason. Although it doesn't really matter anyway because all claims should be treated as a new claim by claimants. The only difference between a new claim and a review is the form for a review is slightly shorter but this doesn't mean you should give less information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • samahira
    Options
    I wanted some information on carers allowance. My daughter was my carer until she started working full time in November. She informed Dwp to stop carers allowance in writing. They seem to be still making the payments up until now. But after six weeks of her employment she left as she had to provide care for me. She now started working for two days a week but still earns little bit over the threshold to claim carers allowance.
    can anyone advise me if she can still claim carers allowance as she genuinely had to go part time because of me. 

Thank you
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have answered that on your seperate thread.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.