Epilepsy and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Epilepsy and benefits

sonny80
sonny80 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi! I suffer from epilepsy. What benefits am I entitled to? I am not sure what help is out there for me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

A diagnosis doesn't automatically entitle you to any benefits. For PIP (personal independance payment) If you're aged between 16 and state pension age then it totally depends on how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. It would be impossible to tell you whether you would qualify because no one knows how your conditions affect you.

For any other benefits then it will totallty depend on your circumstances and with no information it's impossible to give any further advice.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I hope the info provided you with details of what you might be entitled to 

Any further help just ask 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sonny80 - & welcome to the community from me too. I'm sorry you suffer from epilepsy, but, as Poppy has mentioned, this doesn't necessarily mean you are 'entitled' to PIP. People who have epilepsy do get PIP, but this depends on how much impact it has on their daily life/activities, &/mobility.
    Please look through the links Poppy has provided, which will give an indication as to whether this may help you.
    With epilepsy, it can also depend on the severity of your condition, & whether you could do an activity 'reliably.' This means, as far as your condition goes, can you do an activity 'safely.' So this is also a consideration. Please take this onboard, which is mentioned towards the end of the 2nd link above.
    If you have any questions about PIP, having read the above advice, then please do say. If you would like to give a little more other info, then Poppy will surely try to help, as it does depend upon your individual circumstances. :)

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sonny80 and welcome to scope and I hope your Christmas was ok and seizure free? I have had epilepsy for 23 years now, the advice above from poppy123456 is as ever great advice. Epilepsy Action are a great source of information and they have also have a helpline which offers advice on benefits(link below). But if we can offer any specific advice just ask.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=epilepsy+action&rlz=1C5CHFA_enGB888GB888&oq=epilepsy+action&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l2.5539j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sonny80 :) I hope you've been having an enjoyable festive period.

Have you had a chance to look through the above advice? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.