How do you celebrate new year — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you celebrate new year

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all 

What do you do to celebrate the start of a new year ? Here are few of my traditions 

Would have some sort of party if only we could this year 

Make a selection of nibbles like pizza sausage rolls crackers with cheese and pate selection of continental meats , dips and crudites,  crisps and nuts 

Have a toast with bottle of fizz 

First footer at strike of midnight 

Kiss everyone and wish them happy new year 

On new years day have another roast dinner lol 

Come on lovely people share what you do 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Champagne and (another) roast dinner :smiley:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Well seeing as I refuse on principle to be forced to pay to attend a Pub I've been going in all year for nowt apart from the price of drinks, I don't do much on NYE, and apart from when my late Nan used to insist on it, I rarely stay up past Midnight to see the new year in, last time I did was NYE 1999 to see if my PC still worked with the Y2K Bug rumour.

• janer1967
    @MrAllen1976 I agree about not paying just to go in a pub 

Do you not have a special meal or anything on new years day 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    New Years Eve for many years has been very low key, which suits me just pefectly. I hate parties, mostly because i'm not really a social person. Usually we have a take away and this year it will be a chinese. I do stay up until past midnight, which is fairly normal for me most nights.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    Sounds perfect @poppy123456 will you see family on new years day your support bubble family 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    @MrAllen1976 I agree about not paying just to go in a pub 

Do you not have a special meal or anything on new years day 
    We used to, but since we lost my Nan in September 2016 we tend not to nowadays, especially that last year she was alive, the old dear had Alzheimer's and totally went doolally those last few months to a point she had to go in a Home, sadly she fell asleep one day in September 2016 and passed away.

• janer1967
    Sorry for your loss @MrAllen1976 it must have been hard to see her suffer 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Back in the day we would often go to the club and stay there til 5 in the morning, but now its a very quiet normal night just the two of us a couple of drinks and hope that next year is better...we've been hoping that for 23 years now and it never is.
    BUT one thing is certain 2021 can only be better than 2020 for all of us !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    janer1967 said:
    Sounds perfect @poppy123456 will you see family on new years day your support bubble family 

I'm not sure if i'll see my daughter and Grandson. She's starting back to work on 4th January full time after 10 months maternity leave and has been doing a few shifts in the past month to get used to her role again so i'm not sure if she's working that day.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janer1967
    Good luck for her return to work hopefully you will see them at sometime 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks. She said it's not too bad, apart from missing the little one. I will see them both tomorrow :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I usually see my mum who has dementia  but she lives with my brother in England so won't be seeing her this year  I stay on my own mostly new years eve is not a good time for me  my mums memory is deteriorating very quickly   and is in stage 6 of the process so probably won't  realy what is happening 
  • janer1967
    Sorry about your mum @lisathomas50 must be hard to watch her get worse 
  • Lisatho11987777
    It was when she was with me my brother wanted my mum back in  wolverhampton so mum lives eith him now I speak to her on the phone which can be quite hard because of her memory its a cruel condition and I feel scared for my mum the mum I knew has gone but I try to hang onto those thoughts as a daughter and as a carer in the community untill this year you feel useless and I just want to throw my arms around them all and make them getter 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    I'm sorry about your Mum @lisathomas50, that must be really difficult for you. 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @janer1967
                             I usually spend New Year's Eve with my family. We play a few games and have some food and then bring in the New Year. I'm always thankful for the things I have and look forward to the plans for the year ahead. I hope this year everyone has a much more positive time and can start to move forward from what has been a very difficult year for everyone. One year I did go to the pub, we paid for tickets and then I found out on the night they were letting people in for free. I didn't go back into the pub until it was taken over by new owners. It was a challenge not going to the pub, but it was out of principle :) Thank you. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thank you westham it is difficult I have never had to pay to go in a pub why do they charge you 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not a big fan of New Year's Eve/Day so I don't usually do anything these days. I'm always up past 12am anyway, so I usually just have a few drinks and stick on the Hootenanny. 

When we were kids we weren't allowed to stay up until 12am to see in the new year so my Dad used to video the fireworks and we'd watch them early the next morning with a glass of orange juice, pretending it was midnight :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    When I was in my 20s we all used to go to sheffield United executive suite party on xmas eve and nye @WestHam06

Used to go in big group and all get very drunk and silly you had to buy your tickets in advance didnt mind paying as it was a proper organised party 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Tori scope ah thats lovely I used to love new year when I was a child mum and dad used to have a big family party most of them have either died or since my dad died havent  bothered  we used togo out in the street and do the conga  glad I have nice memorys back then 

Niw I don't like and dread new year  but its something I am dealing g with it will be a different new year this year  

Brightness