PIP phone call assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP phone call assessment

tanya2595
tanya2595 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
Hi so a little about myself I suffer from really bad mental Health. After losing 5 babies last year my doctors think I may have ptsd. I have left my house maybe 7 times in a year and always have my partner with me and have to travel by taxis. I am suicidal, on medication and my partner does everything taking child to school, shopping, medication. I start cbt next month which my mental health worker put me on. I have filled a form out for pip and I received a text on the 15th December to say they received it does anyone know roughly how long I will be waiting to get the assessment? Also are assessments been done over the phone? 

Thanks you 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Nobody can really say how long you can wait for assessment some wait months depends on backlog of assessment providers 

Yes assessments are still being done over the phone currently for majority of people 

Good luck for your claim and your treatment 
  • tanya2595
    Thank you. 

I am nervous about the cbt but I am sure it will do me some good 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @tanya2595
    welcome to the forum . I’m sorry for your losses . I my self suffer with ptsd and mental illness . I have no children I have a little dog but my partner also does along for me also . I have a mental health nurse also and I’m waiting to do emdr . This is a very nice forum so you are amongst friends here . 

I suffer with anxiety ocd and ptsd and pychosis . I recieve pip . Every ones times they have to wait is different me personally I applied in feb I had my assessment in July and got my decision in July August and then my back pay a couple of weeks after my assessment but every one is different . As far as I know the assessments are still being done on the phone due to covid . 

I personally needed my partners help dure In my telephone pip assessment mines lasted for just over 2 hours my concentration isn’t so good at all especially when anxious . 

Keep us updated with how you get on . 

• tanya2595
    Thank you

. I suffer so badly I can’t go out my house, I rely on my partner for everything I even have to get him to answer phone calls for me so I am really nervous about the phone call assessment. 

I was so nervous about posting, I applied on the 17th November and they didn’t receive my form until the 15th December that was the last time I heard from them. 

I have severe anxiety and depression and my doctors and mental health worker think I may have ptsd. 
  • cupcake88
    @tanya2595 hi Tanya I’m having trauma therapy currently from a charity that I was referred to by the crisis team . But I’m on the waiting list from my mental health team for emdr. I have heard good things bout therapy . I’m on so much medication but that’s just to make me more stable so I can do the therapy like your self I’m also suicidal . I call the crisis team when I’m really not well or I go to a and e . I don’t think trauma is any thing that can cured but we can learn to deal with it one day and live a more Of comfortable life so my nurse tells me .  I wish you all the best with your therapy we are hear for you . 
  • cupcake88
    In my assessment they mainly wanted to speak to me when my partner would step in they would ask to speak to me even tho I made no sense but he did have to step in and help with the call . So they won’t mind you having support on the phone . 

Every mental health service in each every is different I’m glad you have a worker and are getting support xx
  • tanya2595
    @cupcake88

I am on the waiting list for the cbt I hope it helps I start next month as I was put onto the priority list. I have two children with me but I can’t cope with the trauma I went through it’s took me to a dark place and I feel like I am getting worse and worse I really hope therapy helps as I have heard good and bad about it. I have weekly talks with my mental health worker and I have the crisis numbers of I need them. I was also self harming so my doctor has been going through other methods with me instead of cutting. It’s been so horrible and I feel like I just want to get back to the normal me but I don’t know how to do that. 

The anxiety since the losses is soo bad I find myself setting alarms at night every half hour to make sure my kids are okay 

thank you for been so friendly 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

There are no timescales. Although a successful claim can take as long as several months. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.

Most people are having the telephone assessments, paper based ones are still very rare. Once an appointment becomes available they will contact you.

Hopefully you won't be waiting too long. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tanya2595
    @poppy123456

thank you! I know they will probably be very busy right now so I guess it’s just a waiting game for my phone call assessment now.

• poppy123456
    Don't forget the closing days for Christmas and New year, this will add to the backlogs. Once DWP receive your form back with your evidence they will then send them to the health assessment providers and it will be these that will contact you, not DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tanya2595
    Ok thanks. Do they send you a letter or text letting you know what day and time there going to phone? Because if my partners not In I don’t answer any unknown numbers it sets my anxiety off too much so I always get him to answer phone 
  • poppy123456
    They should send a letter with text reminders after. They should also give you at least 7 days notice of the assessment.
  • cupcake88
    @tanya2595 I have never self harmed . But I have heard that fidget toys like tangles help you can get them from amazon or ebay  or like a stress ball also that’s just what I have heard from people who self harm that helps them . 

I have taken over doses how ever so I know how it feels to feel there’s no way out when you just can’t get bad memories out of your head . I understand I’m guessing you have seen a pychiatrist ? Whether you do or don’t have ptsd none of us can tell you that  but we can support you we all support each other on this forum your not alone . My mental illness got so bad  that I hear and see things that aren’t there the medication controls it to a point . I’m guessing your on medication ? 

I my self rely on my partner a lot I’m unable to work I hardly leave the front door I feel like I’m a shell of the women I used to be but I have an amazing partner behind me and I have this forum . I do feel that one day I can live life like I used to and you will learn ways to cope with your illness also . Sounds like you have support from
    your partner and your children . 
  • cupcake88
    @tanya2595 I spend all day every day making sure every thing in my house is straight so bad things don’t happen I’m constantly on edge so I know what it’s like to be on edge and to panic . My Medication has helped me . 

I worry a lot also . This forum has really helped me a lot I feel like I now have friends . Xx
  • tanya2595
    I have been trying some new things my doctor taught me something with a elastic band also instead of harming myself. 

My partner is so supportive and helps me so much but sometimes I feel like I am putting too much stress on him as our children are only young too so he does a lot with them. 

I am on medication and it knocks me out in a night as I couldn’t sleep either I would be up all night crying. It’s the worry that something bad will happen I can’t get over and the not wanting to mix with anyone I feel like my home is my safety place that’s why I never leave the house. 

I hope to find friends also xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @tanya2595 :) It's great to have you here, and I'm glad you've been able to get plenty of advice and support from our wonderful members already.

I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, so if you could take a look at it whenever you get a moment that'd be great.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • tanya2595
    Thank you I got your email, I will be taking a look at it all tonight, I got the advice I needed and the members are so friendly thank you all
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Nice one, thanks for letting me know @tanya2595 :) Yep, they're pretty great! I look forward to seeing you around. Please feel free to get involved in any discussions that interest you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.