Who are likely to receive the COVID extension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who are likely to receive the COVID extension?

PIPnewbie
PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
As you may know the government are going to extend awards for people currently receiving PIP.

But in your opinion who is likely to receive this extension? Why wouldn’t the government just extend it for all whom are in receipt of PIP?

My partner is in in receipt of a 3 year award for standard daily living and enhanced mobility (extended from 2 year DWP award of only standard daily) which is due to end June 2021. She’s struggling at the minute so it would be nice to know she can go longer without worrying about reassessment. I suppose that goes for everyone on PIP though ?
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

As she was awarded by the Tribunal then unfortunately, her award will not be extended. DWP usually contact people about 14 weeks before their PIP is due to end, this will ask them to ring to start their claim off. They will then be sent more PIP2 forms.

Those people that are having or had their awards extended, doesn't mean they won't still be sent review forms. We've had quite a few members here posting that their award was extended but they still received the review form a few weeks/months after. My daughter was one of them. Her award was extended to November 2021 but almost 2 weeks ago i received the review form.

If a decision hasn't been made on your girlfriends claim by the time it's due to end, it will end but if she's successfully awarded then it will be backdated to the date it ended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIPnewbie
    @poppy123456 thanks for the help once again.

It is a shame the DWP are discriminating against people whose awards were by tribunal and not themselves.

I guess she’s going to have to go through that rollercoaster again. This time she has her ankylosing spondylitis diagnosis to help prove her symptoms which stopped her getting enhanced daily living.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Although do remember that PIP isn't about a diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kettles
    Kettles Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi @PIPnewbie

@poppy123456 is right. My husband has not received a six-month extension as he won at tribunal. My neighbour, did. Although she has still received her forms to reclaim as she would have done had she not received the extension. When she asked me about this, it was confirmed that all who are invited to reclaim again despite an extension, they still have to complete the new claim and submit. 

• PIPnewbie
    @Kettles thanks for the reply.

I think it’s shocking they are discriminating against tribunal winners. But hey, what can we do? Nothing.

I just hope she doesn’t have to go to tribunal this time. Her symptoms are well documented and real, so we’ll see.
  • Kettles
    Kettles Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    It is difficult, as it is a tribunal decision and not a DWP decision but I do understand where you're coming from. 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2020
    I don't think it's anything to do with discrimination. It's purely because a decision made by a Tribunal can not be changed and for DWP to extend the award then they would be changing the decision.

Also having an award extended doesn't mean a review won't take place, far from it and people think that because they've had their award extended DWP won't contact them anytime soon.
  • Aryhian
    Aryhian Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    @PIPnewbie not so sure nothing can be done have a chat with Leigh Day solicitors they will not charge you. Have a word on the discrimination re tribunal decision angle. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Aryhian - & welcome to the community. I don't feel a solicitor would help here. As Poppy & another member mentioned, the DWP can't overturn a decision made by a judge at a Tribunal. Also as mentioned, we've heard of quite a lot of people where they had their award extended, yet shortly afterwards got a review form to complete, so it might not have made much odds anyway. :)
  • Jona
    Jona Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    You're welcome. Although do remember that PIP isn't about a diagnosis.
    Hi
    Genuinely not trying to be difficult and know your comment is a good while back...And theres clearly many nuisances, in the way DWP assess ....but if its the symptoms and not the diagnosis per se...Then how can DWP refute your symptoms?> 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Its perhaps easier to see it this way, it's all about how your care and/or mobility needs fit into the descriptors for PIP, its not about what's wrong with you or what symptoms you have that's one of the main differences between PIP and DLA.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.