Bipolar — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bipolar

rmager
rmager Community member Posts: 20 Connected
For all things Bipolar related

Comments

• rmager
    I've started this as an anchor for all issues bipolar related hoping to get a chat going and tackle issues relating to the disorder.  We know it affects EVERYTHING to the possibilities for this chat are endless! 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I don’t have bi polar but I do suffer with acute mental illnesses . Anxiety , ocd , ptsd and pychosis . I’m on anti pychotic meds and benzodiazepines for when I’m really bad I know that people with bi polar are on the same sort of meds . I have days when I’m highly anxious , and days where I hear voices and see things that aren’t there as well as that I have to deal with the side Effects of medication . 

I’m constantly fearful I’ll loose my mind again , I currently have a nurse and I’m under a mental health team . Do you have a community nurse at all?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome thanks for starting this post no doubt others will contribute 

I dont have bipolar but I did support an employee I had who suffered and helped her remain in employment 

A happy new year to you 
  • rmager
    @cupcake88 have you had your diagnosis confirmed by a consultant psychiatrist who knows you well?  There's a lot going on there and it seems like some different aspects are diagnosed.  The fact that you're in a bipolar chat seems to suggest that you're minded that bipolar may fit.  Just wondering where you're at with this.

@janer1967 Thank you for your contribution to the bipolar community.  We need a little helping handing sometimes and when we've been helped we never forget it.  Can I ask how you supported her to remain in employment?  It'd be good to get a discussion going on that topic.  Its a major issue.
  • cupcake88
    I don’t have bi polar my I have been diagnosed by 3 different psychiatrist my illness is down to trauma . But I know what it’s like to suffer with mental illness . 
  • cupcake88
    I suffer with a anxiety disorder which includes ocd and ptsd and suffer with pychosis but I don’t suffer with bi polar but I do have friends who have bi polar 
  • rmager
    @cupcake88 OK cool was just checking in on that before we moved the discussion forward.  15 years into my diagnosed journey I'm only just ready to start dealing with complex trauma.  Lots of people carry trauma.  Have you hear of neuro-diversity?  Its a new way of looking at some of these issues.  Neurodiversity - Wikipedia  I was introduced to the concept the other week.  I'm merely putting information out there.
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I supported the employee in few ways 

She was starting to get into trouble for her behaviour so as hr I advised her manager we set up meetings with her tried to understand her highs and lows 

Her triggers we also got her to reconnect with her gp and review treatment 

We had a bipolar support group come in and explain to myself and her manager more about the condition and how to support they also did presentation to her co workers and supported her 

We made it clear the behaviour we expected from her abs that if she didnt improve her job was at risk 

We organised different duties when she wasnt able to face others and solitary office 

Had weekly meetings with her to discuss any issues and she knew where to come if she was struggling 

We sometimes had ti send her home for the safety of herself and others 
  • rmager
    @janer1967 Having faced many employment situations in many different settings, I can say that - from my personal experience - some of those techniques would have been more effective than others.  Its a tricky one.  When safety is an issue I can understand the business need to manage risk.  We as a community would never want risk to not be mitigated.  I would say that the vaste majority are petrified of causing harm to anyone else.  There may, of course, be maladaptive coping strategies for difficult symptoms such as rage.  Would you like to give a bit more context about the business? Industry, sector, services provided. It'll be interesting to start getting baselines and defaults established for future readers to conceptualise where their career choices fit into the matrix that is risk management and self-management and all working harmoniously together. Stigma is -by far - the most difficult issue faced on a daily basis.  Did you find the rest of the workforce understanding?  This debate is interesting. 
  • cupcake88
    @janer1967 that’s interesting to know sounds like you was very supportive to the lady who worked for you I don’t think all places are like that which is a shame ,

@rmager hello again yes I was diagnosed right thank you . I’m doing trauma counselling now and will be doing emdr therapy soon I’m on the waiting list .

i so badly want to get better so I get back work But I think it would be trial and error till I find the right place when I’m ready . I’m scared I will face discrimination like I did before . I also lack in confidence . I get paranoid of the staff as well .
  • janer1967
    Hi at the time it was working for a non profit organisation that dealt with health care insurance products mainly and well being 

The individual worked in a customer facing role initially which didnt really support her needs and change in moods as well as the risk to the business 

She was moved to an admin role which was much better she also had more relaxed targets to meet than others 

When she was on a low she worked more on her own out of choice as she would often sit crying and didnt want others seeing and also could control her outburts better 

I had no experience of dealing with this condition b4 so had to do quite bit of research 

Brightness