Do I class as disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I class as disabled

Options
Michelle38x
Michelle38x Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there, please can you give me some advice. 

Hi there,

Can you please help me, I have recently had a baby 7 months ago. I suffered with sever SPD and then started to recover once my baby was born. 

My back completely went when she was around 4 months and I couldn't walk at all for 3 days and then it gradually got better. 

I then started having tummy cramps and severe diarrhea and have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease following a biopsy.

I have been in sever pain with all my joints including my wrists and knees excessively. This has effected my life everyday and I cry with the pain. I have also been extremely tired, my hair is falling out and my skin is dry. I have just been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, Vitamin B12 deficiency, and Vitamin D and folic acid deficiency. 

I work in a jobcentre and sometimes at home with my baby at the same time. I struggle everyday to move around physically. I struggle to concentrate and forget things and I am in pain even when rested at night time. I wake up and try to turn over and I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

I have heart pulpitations, blur vision and  ferl cold constantly.

I have now started my hormone replacements, B12 injections, a gluten free diet, folic acid and vitamin D to help with my symptoms.

Can you please tell me if I can get any help and if my illnesses are classed as a disability because I have no idea! I am scared to give up work because I have a family but I cant cope with it all. Please advise.

Kind Regards 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

You don't need to be classed as disabled to claim a disability benefit and it's also not awarded based on any diagnosis. To be eligible for PIP (personal independence payment) then it will totally depend on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's also not means tested so earnings/savings/capital do not affect the amount you maybe able to claim.

It's also not about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP. Some links here that may help you.

If you are unable to work because of your health condition then you should look at claiming SSP from your employer which is payable for 28 weeks with a fit note from your GP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • justlooking88
    justlooking88 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    To qualify you need to be able to evidence that the conditions will remain in 9 months. Most of your conditions are likely to be successfully treated with the medication you’ve started.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To qualify you need to be able to evidence that the conditions will remain in 9 months. Most of your conditions are likely to be successfully treated with the medication you’ve started.

I would tend to agree with this, especially for the B12 deficiency. I have this and was diagnosed about 6-7 years ago. At first i wasn't well at all and it took a long time for my GP to find out exactly what was wrong. Once i was eventually diagnosed, after the initial B12 injections which i was having a few time a weeks to start with, i started to feel so much better. Now i have them every 3 months, although i can feel a decline in my health after about 10 weeks, once i've had the jab there's a big improvement.

I have other conditions which affect me so much more than the B12 deficiency. Hopefully with the treatment you're having you'll start to feel much better very soon and then the 3 month B12 injections will continue long term.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jaydenlogan15
    Jaydenlogan15 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Thyroid medication is **** don’t work for most I had it 8 years coming 9 I never felt so terrible in all my life with the added  other health stuff with it hair loss 
    anemic 
    vitamin d low 
    heavy periods Ademeosis 
    low moods 
    depression. 
    Skin picking.  OCD  
    Anxiety 
    insomnia 

I dislike when pll suggest oh take  tablets u be fine.  It’s not like that I’d rather keep my job n be happy healthy then this it’s no life now it’s horrible 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.