PIP Support letter from Friend or Family member — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Support letter from Friend or Family member

naila_007
naila_007 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
Hi Everyone,
I decided to apply for PIP - the form is so daunting making me anxious. Well I have almost completed it took me 15 days so far.  Is anyone aware of a template for a friend or family member I can look at or use.?  Its the first time I am applying for any benefit so is it a good idea to attach a diary for 3 to 5 days?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Naila

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I don't know of any template that can be used for this. What your friend should do is state exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, this would only be useful if they know exactly how your conditions affect you.

Yes, a diary can be helpful. Also what i'd advise is that you add a couple f recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you were and a detailed explanation of exactly what happened.

You can also ring DWP to request an extension to return the form.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    As long as the supporting letter from family or friend is both factual and relevant that's all that's needed. A diary can be a great idea but I would think more like 7-10 days would be better, as poppy says you can request an extension two weeks should be given just for asking, but you need to return it 7-10 days before the due date to give it time to get on to their system, and when you post get proof of posting (no need to send recorded delivery) and lastly if possible take photo copies for future reference.
    Good luck @naila_007 and welcome to scope.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Have heard suggestions about sending in a diary/ keeping a diary before, but I’ve never understood how exactly should the diary be formatted. 
    I’ve never written diary entries in my life and have no clue how they’re done really. I suffer from mental illness as well and one advice that was given to me also was to send in a week’s diary. But how do you do that? Do you write what’s happening WHEN it’s happening? (Doesn’t make sense, as I’m shaking and struggling to breathe at that time so no way I’ll think about or be able to write anything down!); do you write it at the end of the day describing how your day was? ; do you describe exactly what happened or just write some of your thoughts about an episode from the day? 

I’ve already submitted my application btw, but just wondering. 
  • naila_007
    Thankyou all for you responses. I have 2 questions left to complete - Mixing with other People and Going Out.
    I just need to be a bit careful how I answers these as i do work but i am always reluctant to mix with people and barely socialize because i am always worried about people asking how am getting on.  I feel embarrassed at times - I know i shouldnt it not my fault.  Any pointers will be much appreciated.  
  • naila_007
    Have heard suggestions about sending in a diary/ keeping a diary before, but I’ve never understood how exactly should the diary be formatted. 
    I’ve never written diary entries in my life and have no clue how they’re done really. I suffer from mental illness as well and one advice that was given to me also was to send in a week’s diary. But how do you do that? Do you write what’s happening WHEN it’s happening? (Doesn’t make sense, as I’m shaking and struggling to breathe at that time so no way I’ll think about or be able to write anything down!); do you write it at the end of the day describing how your day was? ; do you describe exactly what happened or just write some of your thoughts about an episode from the day? 

I found a template online and on the Citizen advice website.  I started my diary on December 27th and will continue with it until 8th Jan. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger

I had the same problem, and I'd guess a lot of others with mental issues do as well.  There was no way I could write anything in the midst of a panic attack, and especially as I was generally out or in the car at the time as well!  I tried taking voice notes on my phone instead, it didn't really work for me but might be something to consider for yourself.  In the end I just tried to remember what had happened and write it down later on in the day.  Though what did surprise me is just how quickly I 'forget' (or specifically block out) some symptoms that I only remembered the next time it happened!
  • poppy123456
    naila_007 said:
    Thankyou all for you responses. I have 2 questions left to complete - Mixing with other People and Going Out.
    I just need to be a bit careful how I answers these as i do work but i am always reluctant to mix with people and barely socialize because i am always worried about people asking how am getting on.  I feel embarrassed at times - I know i shouldnt it not my fault.  Any pointers will be much appreciated.  

I'm not sure what you mean by "you need to be a bit careful how you answer those questions" Just tell it how it is. Recent real world examples will also help a lot here.
    Although people do work and claim PIP, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • anxiousbird
    naila_007 said:

I found a template online and on the Citizen advice website.  I started my diary on December 27th and will continue with it until 8th Jan. 
    would you be able to share a link to that pls? :)
  • anxiousbird

I had the same problem, and I'd guess a lot of others with mental issues do as well.  There was no way I could write anything in the midst of a panic attack, and especially as I was generally out or in the car at the time as well!  I tried taking voice notes on my phone instead, it didn't really work for me but might be something to consider for yourself.  In the end I just tried to remember what had happened and write it down later on in the day.  Though what did surprise me is just how quickly I 'forget' (or specifically block out) some symptoms that I only remembered the next time it happened!
    Yess agreed! That’s the thing with anxiety and panic attacks, even though you feel like you’re dying when you’re having them, once they’re over you can’t go back and ‘feel’ it again and can’t recreate the emotions/feelings in your head again! 
    If you don’t mind me asking, what stage are you at with your application? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger

Yess agreed! That’s the thing with anxiety and panic attacks, even though you feel like you’re dying when you’re having them, once they’re over you can’t go back and ‘feel’ it again and can’t recreate the emotions/feelings in your head again! 
    No I don't mind at all.  I failed the first assessment with 0 points back in spring 2019.  Then after approx 12 months I won a paper tribunal earlier this year and am now receiving enhanced daily living.  :)
  • anxiousbird

No I don't mind at all.  I failed the first assessment with 0 points back in spring 2019.  Then after approx 12 months I won a paper tribunal earlier this year and am now receiving enhanced daily living.  :)
    That’s great! Congratulations ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Here's a link from Citizens Advice - their diary template: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Documents/Advice (public)/pip-diary.pdf
    When I decided to keep a 'diary' for 7-8 days to send in with my PIP claim, I just made a few brief notes for each day highlighting the difficulties I'd had & why. Then I copied this onto my computer, put my name & National Insurance number at the top of each page, & printed it off.
    Whilst the Citizens Advice diary template is OK, you just have to put in your own words (or get help from someone if needed) how your disability affects you. There's no right or wrong way about doing it, just make sure it relates to the activities looked at with PIP.
    You don't have to do a diary, but if you can manage to jot down some notes anyway, it will help you when you come to do the PIP form. As mentioned, it's so easy to forget what happened.... the things you've had problems, or struggled with.

• anxiousbird
    chiarieds said:
    Here's a link from Citizens Advice - their diary template: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Documents/Advice (public)/pip-diary.pdf
    When I decided to keep a 'diary' for 7-8 days to send in with my PIP claim, I just made a few brief notes for each day highlighting the difficulties I'd had & why. Then I copied this onto my computer, put my name & National Insurance number at the top of each page, & printed it off.
    Whilst the Citizens Advice diary template is OK, you just have to put in your own words (or get help from someone if needed) how your disability affects you. There's no right or wrong way about doing it, just make sure it relates to the activities looked at with PIP.
    You don't have to do a diary, but if you can manage to jot down some notes anyway, it will help you when you come to do the PIP form. As mentioned, it's so easy to forget what happened.... the things you've had problems, or struggled with.

• poppy123456
    chiarieds said:

The link works fine for me.
  • anxiousbird
    chiarieds said:

The link works fine for me.
    Now it does for me as well. Lol That’s weird! When I did it earlier, it said ‘sorry that page does not exist or have been moved’ 
  • naila_007
    naila_007 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "you need to be a bit careful how you answer those questions" Just tell it how it is. Recent real world examples will also help a lot here.
    Although people do work and claim PIP, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you.
    apologies i think i may have worded that incorrectly - yes i will write it as it is. I just get embarrassed of explaining.  I will mention a few live examples. Thankyou 
  • naila_007
    HI and welcome,

I don't know of any template that can be used for this. What your friend should do is state exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, this would only be useful if they know exactly how your conditions affect you.

Yes, a diary can be helpful. Also what i'd advise is that you add a couple f recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you were and a detailed explanation of exactly what happened.

You can also ring DWP to request an extension to return the form.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Poppy i wasnt sure whether to start a new discussion - i have been reading quite a lot of the discussions with regards to medical evidence - is it a good idea to send all consultant letters/reports as evidence. They dont always mention how the condition affects me but more of care plan and  if my condition has worsened.  Is there anyone here checks the forms or is it only CAB.
    thanks Naila
  • poppy123456
    Asking on here is fine. Firstly, do remember that with evidence, less is often more. Sending in huge amounts of evidence isn't helpful and even more so if it doesn't state exactly how your conditions affect you. Just read through all your evidence before deciding what to send.

Unfortunately, there isn't anyone here that can check that evidence for you because we don't know exactly how your conditions affect you. Remember also about the recent real world examples.
  • naila_007
    Hi,
    I finally did manage to send my PIP form off and have received a text message on 14th Jan to say "we may need you to attend a consultation with the health professional before making a decision" - just out of curiosity how long does this process take? I kept copies of all my form as i think i might have wrote a mini dissertation.Lets see what happens now.
    This forum is very useful :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.