What extra help can I get with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What extra help can I get with PIP

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
Hi, i have been awarded the enhanced rate of living and mobility and I am confused at the moment. Please bare with me as I do struggle to work things out. I am trying to work out what extra help I am entitled to, which includes perscription costs and dental costs and council tax benefits. Before i was told about the award, we were getting universal credit as my wife who works has been told to stay off work due to COVID19 until at least March.

So, I am just wondering if there is any help I can get. I have a car already, and have already renewed my car tax. My car tax is only £139 a year. I would also like to know how does the blue badge scheme work as i have read a little about it and it has confused me.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,028 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to any free NHS treatment because it's not a means tested benefit. As you're claiming UC then it will be depend on earnings received during your assessment period as to whether you're entitled to the free NHS treatment. Details here. https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/help-with-health-costs-for-people-getting-universal-credit/

As you are claiming the daily living PIP then your partner will be able to claim the carers element of UC if they look after you for at least 35 hours per week. This is an extra £162.92 per month and your partner will need to report the changes on their journal to be able to claim this element.

Enhanced mobility entitles you to free road tax but do be aware the vehicle which this may used for can only be used for your purposes, not just for your partner. Details here. https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-exemption

Your Enhanced mobility award can also be exchanged for a motability vehicle of your choice through motability, although you said you already have a car.

Council tax reduction, your partner maybe entitled to a reduction if they are your carer but for this you'll need to contact your local council because all councils have their own rules regarding this.

Blue badge. To be automatically entitled to this through your mobility award will depend on where you scored those points. If your scored 8 points of more on the "moving around part" then this automatically qualifies you. Check here for your local council. https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council If you qualify through your PIP award then you will need this award as proof.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    Options
    thank you for that. On my mobilty i got 10 for planning and following a journey but only 4 points for moving around, so does that mean i will not get a blue badge. on bad days i struggle to walk and keep falling over
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to have scored the 10 points in descriptor E "unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress" to automatically qualify for the blue badge. Although this doesn't mean you won't be successful by applying even if you didn't score the points in the correct descriptor.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • happyfella
    Options
    my wife will be coming off universal credit when she returns to work. For some reason I thought i got free prescriptions on PIP, not sure where i got that from
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As you're claiming UC then you'll always claim as a couple and it will continue until earnings increase and your UC payments decrease.

If you don't qualify for free prescriptions through UC then have a look at the NHS low income scheme. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme

Disability benefits like PIP and DLA have never qualified anyone to free NHS treatment.

• happyfella
    Options
    i have just looked at the blue badge and because i get 10 points for i need another person with me, i do not automatically qualify. It says i have to supply lots of letters for me to be considered, which will cause me so much stress and confusion, so although i have been told it would be safer for me to apply, it would cause me more stress to get all the documentation together to apply
  • loulou27
    loulou27 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    my wife will be coming off universal credit when she returns to work. For some reason I thought i got free prescriptions on PIP, not sure where i got that from
    A pre payment prescription card is very good if you get a lot of medication under £11 month and covers all your prescription charges 
  • happyfella
    Options
    thank you for that. That is what i will do
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That will be descriptor D, so this doesn't automatically qualify you. My daughter receives Enhanced mobitlity for following and planning a journey so doesn't automatically qualify either.
  • happyfella
    Options
    thank you for the great advice. It is a shame as I really do struggle when i am out and due to falling have had serious injuries. I did apply for pip over a year ago and because of all the lies the assessor put on my report i got no points. I did an automatic appeal thing and still got no points, and then an investigation was launched because my doctor was angry at the lies and complained, i got a letter of an apology. But, even though people were pushing me to appeal i did not have the energy to do so. This time around my doctor told me i need to apply again and arranged for someone to fill the forms in and sent a letter direct to them supporting me. So this time around they gave me maximum on both.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi great advice from above I just wanted to add I’m only on pip I get Standard mobility and scored 10 points as it causes me distress . I automatically recieved a blue badge I applied via my local councils website I had to pay like ten pound and it’s valid to the end date of my pip . I personally don’t drive or go in a car unless I have to and for that I need to take diazepam . My partner finds  the blue badge useful when collecting my medication as it can hard to park there so it comes in handy for him . 

I pay monthly I think it’s like 11 pounds and it covers all my meds .
  • happyfella
    Options
    i got my ten points for i need another person with me. so i am not automatically entitled to the badge, even though i do fall a lot and walking causes me a lot of pain
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You never know you may be awarded the badge as there's lots of people that don't automatically qualify. I do believe it's a simple process to apply and be assessed, unlike the PIP process.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.