Hi, my name is daphneparry! Can my daughter claim Carer's Allowance for me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is daphneparry! Can my daughter claim Carer's Allowance for me?

daphneparry
daphneparry Community member Posts: 1 Listener
can  my daughter claim carers allowance for me I have mental health problems and arthritis in lower back and hands and have got two prosthetic knees due to arthritis

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    HI and welcome,

For your daughter to be able to claim carers allowance for looking after you, you must be claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance.

If you do claim any of those and your daughter looks after you for at least 35 hours per week and she's not a student or she doesn't earn more than £128 per week (after deductions) then yes she can claim it BUT it will also depend what other benefits, if any she's claiming because carers allowance can't be paid with some benefits because they are classed as overlapping benefits.

However, if she does claim carers allowance then this may affect any other benefits you may already be claiming, for example, if you're claiming a severe disability premium in with another benefit then this will stop if your daughter claims carers allowance for looking after you.

Hope this helps.

See eligibility criteria here for carers allowance. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    Welcome on board Daphne and a happy new year to you  and yours. .....and a Happy new year to all admin. experts and scope members ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome from me too 

Hope the advice answers your questions  please just ask if there is anything else you want to know 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @daphneparry - I'd just like to add my welcome, as I see you've already received great advice. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @daphneparry :) How are you getting on today?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.