Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is simcost72!

simcost72simcost72 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am entitled to pip and Esa I am currently in a 2 bedroom house and want to move to a simgle floor property as my disability is getting worse and the house I am in is not suitable. Can I put a deposit down on a private rented property and just move? TIA


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,234 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    You can move house to anywhere you want to.
    If at the moment you're claiming a severe disability premium in with another benefit such as ESA then the rules that currently stop you claiming UC are due to end on 27th January 2021 so if you move after this date to a different local council then you will need to claim UC for help with any rent and your ESA will transfer to UC.

    If you move before this date you can reclaim housing benefit and your ESA will continue.

    However, regardless of the above, if you stay within the same local council then you will be able to reclaim housing benefit, even after 27th January.

    Hope this helps.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,729

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @simcost72 :) Has the above advice helped? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.