do i inform universal credit of pip award — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

do i inform universal credit of pip award

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
i have been informed that i am to receive pip at the higher rate on both. we receive £100 from UC, do i need to tell UC about receiving PIP which i appied for in september and will our UC payments go down
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

No you dont need to let them know and your benefits won't change 

But you could now get some other benefits if eligible will tag in our expert @poppy123456
  • happyfella
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,919 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @janer1967 for the tag.

I note that you said "we" receive UC which tells me that you're claiming this with a partner? If that's correct then providing your partner doesn't claim the LCWRA element of UC and they are not claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after someone else then they can claim the carers element for looking after you.

They will need to report the changes on their journal and to also confirm they are caring for you for at least 35 hours per week. This will mean you will be £162.92 per month better off. Whether it will be backdated though is another thing because this element is extremely difficult to get backdated.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    Thank you for that. My wife is off work at the moment due to self isolating and has been off since march. She is receiving £500 per month and we receive around £120 -£160 UC. She does not claim carers allowance as her earnings are above the threshold for carers allowance.  So, can we still claim for this element and what is it called and how do we apply for it.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2021
    You're welcome. It's the carers element and to claim this she needs to report the change of circumstances on her journal. She does not need to claim carers allowance to be able to claim the carers element of UC.

That is a long time to self isolate, do you mean she's been shilelding since March? Is she claiming SSP from her employer or being furloughed? If she's claiming SSP because of a health condition, is she sending in fit notes for UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • happyfella
    sorry this might sound daft. we are on the journal now and not sure what to put
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi go to home page then scroll down till you see report a change then select the right option from that list 
  • happyfella
    She is off work because her doctor has told her to stay off work until she receives the vaccine. She wanted to go back after she finished shiedling through the government but her doctor said no she needs to stay off until it is safe.
  • poppy123456
    So does she receive furlough or SSP from her employer?

What about yourself? Do you work at all or are you unable to work because of your health condition? If so, have you reported your health condition to UC and are you sending in fit/sick notes from your GP to start the work capability assessment process off?
  • happyfella
    she was receiving full pay to begin with and then that dropped down to SSP. I don't work due to my health. I would love in the future to try self-employment, although this is against medical advice, and no one due to my health conditions would employ me. I am hoping to do that maybe in about two or three years.
  • poppy123456
    What about the fit notes for UC? I would be able to advise you but i can't do that unless you answer the questions i'm asking you.
  • happyfella
    i do not provide fit notes. I have not been able to work for some years. To cut a long story short i was told i would never work again. I did not bother to claim any benefits as i was too proud. It was only last year that we claimed UC because of COVID. I am hoping to try and go self-employed in a few years although my doctors have advised against it when i spoke to them about it.
  • poppy123456
    Then you should send in fit notes for your UC claim to start the work capability assessment off. I'm surprised your work coach hasn't advised you of this. Details are all here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.