Due to walking difficulty, which might get worse as I get older, would I be eligible for a Scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Due to walking difficulty, which might get worse as I get older, would I be eligible for a Scooter?

Topic.

I'm 45 in April, and as I haven't been able to do much in the way of exercise during all 3 lockdowns apart from Taekwondo 3 times a week, my mobility's a bit limited, even moreso than it always has been already.

Therefore would I be eligible to get a Mobility Scooter? I already know that if I drove I'd be eligible for a Motability car because I'm on enhanced rate PIP but that's not on the cards due to my problems.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    If you receive the enhanced rate of the mobility component for PIP, then you would be eligible. You can find more information on the Motability website 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

Yes you can get a scooter through mobility scheme however you can often get second hand ones in Ebay gumtree and facebook it would prob be a cheaper option than using your mobility award 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    Hi 

Yes you can get a scooter through mobility scheme however you can often get second hand ones in Ebay gumtree and facebook it would prob be a cheaper option than using your mobility award 

Second hand Scooters aren't covered by warranties for when they inevitably break down mid journey though :(

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You could just buy a new one or as suggested a secondhand one would offer better value, not sure how needing a scooter squares with seeking work in retail though?

A quick look at google suggest that breakdown and recovery insurance is available from £69 a year.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    woodbine said:
    You could just buy a new one or as suggested a secondhand one would offer better value, not sure how needing a scooter squares with seeking work in retail though?

A quick look at google suggest that breakdown and recovery insurance is available from £69 a year.
    See my topic from about an hour and half ago in the employment section.

Basically I've come to the conclusion that after about 25 years of looking, I'll probably never work for money, I'll be 45 in April, so if an employer gets 10 years out of me before I have to retire, they'd be lucky.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You can still get it covered as suggested above as always only trying to offer suggestions 

I have had 2and hand one for over 2 years now that was already 5 years old and not a single issue 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:

See my topic from about an hour and half ago in the employment section.

Basically I've come to the conclusion that after about 25 years of looking, I'll probably never work for money, I'll be 45 in April, so if an employer gets 10 years out of me before I have to retire, they'd be lucky.

I was purely going off the number of recent threads you have started about looking for work, I had to retire at the age of 38 due to my health, at the time I thought it was the end of the world, turns out that it actually wasn't. Life goes on and nobody starves in this country. (although some do go hungry, but thats another story)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Woodbine sorry that you had to retire at 38  I am hopei g to go back to work  I am 58  the last year for me has been hard not working  liveingvrural is a choice I made because I couldnt cope in a city and when iwas working it was ok this situation we live in now  as I live in a lane can seem like your the only person on the  planet lol do reslyvlooking forward to getting another job

Mr Allen  your 45  I am must be pat it at 58  trying g to get a job lol ha ha ha ha ? 

Brightness