Private pension and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Private pension and ESA

Options
picchy
picchy Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi there,

I'm 45 and looking to start a private pension. I receive income related esa and housing benefit. 

When I reach the age you could drawdown a private pension, currently 55, does anyone know if it would then be treated as capital / savings? I would have no intention of actually accessing the money until I reach state retirement age.

Many thanks for any help,
Picchy

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi you won't have to access the money until you reach SR age, currently 66 for most increasing at some point to 67, the age you can access private pension funds is currently 55 but there are plans to increase that to 57. Any money you access will be treated as savings and might be taxable BUT the first 25% is always tax free.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Lump sums are treated as savings. Weekly/monthly income from that pension will be classed as income and reduce your Income Related ESA £1 for £1. If any part of your ESA is Contributions based then any pension of up to £85 per week is ignored but anything over that will reduce your ESA further by 50p for every £1 over £85 per week.

However, as you are only 45 now then things could change by the time you reach the age in which you can withdraw from it so you will need to get futher advice when the time comes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.