Free online courses for GCSE Maths? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Free online courses for GCSE Maths?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited November 2020 in Education
Topic.

I did a course at The Source Skills Academy in Sheffield last October, and passed a "Function skills" Maths course which is the equivalent of a D at GCSE level, however these days even entry level Office work requires a C or above in English and Maths, English isn't a problem as I did it at College in June 1996 and got an A from studying Macbeth, but I need to improve my Maths score.

I did enquire about going back to Sheffield College in September but the course isn't funded and I can't afford an expensive course especially when I'd have to pay £300 for the exams.

I've been scouring Google for courses but I can't find any free or funded ones.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MrAllen1976

Good for you for wanting to re-sit your GCSE.  A friend of mine did the exact same thing to get her ideal job and had to pay to sit the exam so I get your frustration.  

I've not been able to find any free online courses but maybe someone else can?

Also, if you check our activity wall you will see @LuckeeBlackCat1 has left you a helpful message :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suppose the question is how much does it cost and would it be a good investment job wise? after all 21 year olds leave uni with a degree but £55,000 worth of debt. Could you get a loan to pay for the course?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SherryH
    SherryH Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Have you looked at your local council website to see what adult learning courses they offer?   It may not be online learning, however, in the current climate I think a lot more have offered online options.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Leeds College of Building seem to offer one @MrAllen1976. I don't know how easy that is for you to get to, but perhaps they'll be running it online next September? Other than that, I'm not sure!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Leeds College of Building seem to offer one @MrAllen1976. I don't know how easy that is for you to get to, but perhaps they'll be running it online next September? Other than that, I'm not sure!
    Thanks @Tori_Scope but at the moment it'd be damn near impossible to get up to Leeds.

Do you know if they do the course remotely?

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem @MrAllen1976. I don't think the next course starts until September 2021. I imagine all teaching will be online at the moment in line with the government guidelines, but who knows what it will be like by next September! Maybe more colleges will offer remote courses in the future? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    GCSE are not very often funded for mature students they come with a fee 

Try out future learn or sheffield uni free online courses as mentioned b4 when you asked about other courses 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    GCSE are not very often funded for mature students they come with a fee 

Try out future learn or sheffield uni free online courses as mentioned b4 when you asked about other courses 
    I did do a course in October 2019 at The Source Skills Academy near Meadowhall, Functional skills level 1, equivalent to a D in GCSE Maths, not bad but these days most jobs ask for a C or above, hence the request to resit a proper Maths exam.

Brightness