When did you take your Christmas decorations down? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When did you take your Christmas decorations down?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
Yesterday marked the 6th January, the 12th night after Christmas when it is allegedly good luck to take down your Christmas tree and decorations. 

Personally, I waited patiently for this day and hoiked down my tree, covering myself in pine needles in the process with my bemused cats looking onwards, mad at me for taking away their new 'play centre'.

When did you take yours down? And, do you believe in the superstition that to take your tree down before the 6th is bad luck?  Let me know! 

Edited to add:  It's actually bad luck after the 6th, my bad!
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I took mine down on sunday 3rd 

My mum always follows the 6th bit I was always led to believe it was bad luck to take them down after 6th not before 
  • Cher_Alumni
    janer1967 said:

My mum always follows the 6th bit I was always led to believe it was bad luck to take them down after 6th not before 
    Oh really! Actually, I've done some research and it seems you are right  :D  The Good Housekeeping website says:

The Epiphany marks the day the Three Kings (or Wise Men) visited baby Jesus, and is either celebrated on January 5 or January 6 (depending on whether you count Day One as Christmas or not). Although Christian groups reportedly disagree over which date is the correct one, tradition dictates that the Twelfth Night is the best time to take down your festive decorations — including your tree. It's believed that waiting too long after the Twelfth Night will bring bad luck.

The moment you realise you didn't have to wait so long and your cats have been running riot for no reason  :D

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    @Cher_Scope lol at least you know for future years 

I love having decs up but usually after new year is over I take them down I also wont ever put them up till december 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't have decorations but took my cards down last night...can't afford any more bad luck!!  :D

In previous years I've taken them down on the 2nd, just kept putting it off this year despite being a 90 second job lol.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:

Oh really! Actually, I've done some research and it seems you are right  :D  The Good Housekeeping website says:

The Epiphany marks the day the Three Kings (or Wise Men) visited baby Jesus, and is either celebrated on January 5 or January 6 (depending on whether you count Day One as Christmas or not). Although Christian groups reportedly disagree over which date is the correct one, tradition dictates that the Twelfth Night is the best time to take down your festive decorations — including your tree. It's believed that waiting too long after the Twelfth Night will bring bad luck.

The moment you realise you didn't have to wait so long and your cats have been running riot for no reason  :D

@Cher_Scope LOL that made me laugh, thanks for that, i needed a good laugh today! Mine came down on 1st january, the day i always take them down. Thankfully, my cat never bothers with the tree. The only thing he likes to do is sit underneath it (he thinks we can't see him really) :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
     :D Does anyone walk/wheel around when everything is put away going 'wow look at all this space, the rooms so big!'. 

I do love putting the Christmas stuff up but equally happy to go back to minimalistic!

• janer1967
    Yes that's me tho have to live with it all packed in my bedroom till I can get it put back in loft my son hot most of it up 

Also my wallpaper got ripped a bit taking them down si had to do a little colouring in so you cant see it 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We took ours down on Jan 1st, when the kids were at home we waited til 12th night.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
     :D Does anyone walk/wheel around when everything is put away going 'wow look at all this space, the rooms so big!'. 

I do love putting the Christmas stuff up but equally happy to go back to minimalistic!
    Yes, I love having them up but it’s also quite refreshing once they are down!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, i'm the same with all the space once they are down. This year is worse for me because in the black Friday sale i treated myself to a new sideboard and TV cabinet from oak furniture land and expected delivery of both on 22nd December, so i sold my other very large sideboard ready for my new one. Then 2 days before delivery was expected they contacted me saying delivery is delayed until 15th January.... Now my living room has a sofa, a swivel chair and a TV.. :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We always take down the Christmas decorations on twelfth night. It does make everything look spartan but  hey ho.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Took mine down last Sunday...I missed the lights so put a garland of string lights made of silk roses along the fireplace with some candles to try and break the gloom...
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Hi Everyone,

Sounds like you had fun taking your tree down Cher. 

I have always beard it in mind, that it is bad luck if you take your tree down post 6th January. I took mine down last Sunday. I can't remember whether or not it was before or after the 6th. I only put a couple of decorations up this year though, hence the circumstances.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Thsts why I have bad luck then my neighbors still hot theirs up I thought it was 12 days after Xmas lol mine are still up lol ? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Thsts why I have bad luck then my neighbors still hot theirs up I thought it was 12 days after Xmas lol mine are still up lol ? 
    Oh no Lisa!   :D When are you taking them down?

I keep seeing my poor Christmas tree abandoned in the garden outside (waiting to be recycled) and it's such a sorry sight.  Nevermind, it served us well! 

• Lisatho11987777
    I follow my neighbors on the 12th  I only have two small trees lol I have white class trees 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Xmas trees lol

Brightness