Council tax exemption — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council tax exemption

Options
pee14
pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
Hi does anyone know about council tax exemption,  how long in takes ? Do they back date payments ect , if any replies would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pee14

How are you? 

Council Tax Reduction can be back dated yes, you need to ensure you tell your local authority what date you want it back dating to when you apply. Find more information here about backdating CTR.

When you ask how long it takes, do you mean how long it will be before you're paid? This will vary, and won't be helped by the current lockdown situation, everything has slowed.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Council tax reduction and council tax exemption are 2 completely different things. Council tax exemption can be backdated to when you qualified but council tax reduction has backdating limits but what those limits are will depend on your local councils rules. All local councils have their own criteria so i'd advise you to have a look at their website.

It can take 2-8 weeks but sometimes longer for a decision to be made for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    I hope the advice above from @poppy123456 has been helpful for you @pee14

Thanks Poppy, I need to get better at learning to remember what a screen reader says, for some reason I had 'reduction' in my mind rather than 'exemption' :D Sorry about that @pee14 :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @Ross_Scope you're welcome. No worries, we all get confused by the different terms.  :D Benefits are a complete nightmare to understand and it took me a very long time to learn what i know.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    @Ross_Scope you're welcome. No worries, we all get confused by the different terms.  :D Benefits are a complete nightmare to understand and it took me a very long time to learn what i know.
    @poppy123456, even having had experience of the system it baffles me fairly often :) If I can have half as much knowledge one day as you do, I'll consider myself very wise on the topic.

Cheers

• pee14
    Options
    @Ross_Scope
    @poppy123456
    Thankyou both of you for your replies, yes I meant exemption, they have proof of high care sent in from 2014 and my mums doctor has emailed their form of severe impairment doctors certificate this morning . So hopefully won't take long then . Thankyou.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456
    @Ross_Scope
    Thanks to Martin lewis we wouldn't have known about this .
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It gets confusing becsuse if you live in Wales its different to get exemption here you have to be on full universal credit or another qualifying benefit even when I only worked 16 hours and had universal credit I still had to pay council tax 
  • pee14
    Options
    @lisathomas50
    Yes my mum had to be on dla or pip highest care and live alone.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I think you're trying to claim for the severe mental imapirment disregard here, which is available nationally but i do know it's not an easy disregard to have backdated.
  • pee14
    Options
    @poppy123456
    Yes thats the one , they have now said it could be backdated 6 years @nd thats why she had to prove her dla back then, to 6 years.im not sure what you mean by its not an easy disregard to have backdated , will she need to prove anything else? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It can sometimes be difficult with this disregard and some local councils really dig their heals in.  Hopefully this won't be the case for her especially if she was claiming a qualifying benefit all that time.
  • pee14
    Options

Brightness