Hi, im Shnek64! Why haven't I been furloughed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im Shnek64! Why haven't I been furloughed?

Shnek64
Shnek64 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
Wondering why my work won't furlough me as this is my 2nd stint of shielding. 1st time I was on full pay as am entitled to 6 months full pay in a calendar year but getting close to running out. The choice I have been given is ssp or working from home which means laptop work which is out of my comfort zone. I am a process tech in the agro-chem industry.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    HI and welcome,

When shielding SSP is correct and not furlough. The Government have advised people to work from home where possible and your employer has said you can do this. If you choose not to do this then it will be SSP. No one is entitled to furlough, it's entirely the decision of your employer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Shnek64
    Correct, but why would my company deny me this if they want to keep me on the books rather than only receiving ssp ?
  • poppy123456
    You have been asked to work from home, which is what the Government have advised even for those that are shielding. Furlough is really only susposed to be used when there is no work for you. You can't force your employer to furlough you. See link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Universal Credit may also be an option to top up your income. Although claiming this will end any tax credits you may already be claiming. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple.

• Shnek64
    I do not work in an office so procedures and assessments are not my skillset. I cannot make chemicals in my back garden so this is not my type of work. I have been told my workload will be checked every week and if deemed not enough will get put down as sick for the hours I have not put in ?
  • Shnek64
    I was also told by a manager that I cannot be furloughed as I am shielding. The Gov have told me to stay indoors so surely it is their responsibility ? I feel I am being victimised because of my illness. I could be getting ssp while contractors are on 80% of their wage.
  • poppy123456
    Those are the rules. Unfortunately, you can't force any employer to furlough you. Those that are shielding are really only entitled to SSP. Although if an employer chooses to furlough you, they can.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Shnek64 and thanks for your post.

I completely understand your frustration here.  To be disadvantaged on the basis of having an impairment seems unfair.  Taken from @poppy123456 's government guidance link, the official line is that you may be furloughed when shielding:
    If you cannot make alternative arrangements, your employer may be able to furlough you under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, which has been extended until the end of April 2021. You should have a conversation with your employer about whether this is possible.
    Could you speak about this further with your HR department?  For more information about your rights see Scope's Employee rights and coronavirus webpage.

Just to add - I've moved this post over to our Employment discussion board and slightly tweaked the title to help others who might be having the same issue.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Shnek64
    Thanks for your post Cher. Going to phone HR tomorrow ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Shnek64 Fab.  Good luck and please keep us updated with how you get on.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Yes, please do let us know how you get on today @Shnek64 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • ccurtis2106
    ccurtis2106 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, I absolutely feel your frustration. 
    I am on the shielding list too. 
    During the first lockdown I was able to work from home. This time around they won’t allow that & have placed me on SSP. 
    I work as a customer service assistant in student accommodation. Doing my job from home is no problem and clearly it was ok the first time. 
    I asked why & HR were blunt with simply stating company said no. I asked why not furlough me & they said, that’s the employers discretion. 
    I have taken this to my local MSP and he is currently fighting this for me & has been in touch with the company. They are due to give a reply tomorrow (19.01.21) my MSP has informed them they are breaking the law by allowing me to work from home first time but not second. Above everything else it is morally wrong to have someone with a condition or disability to suffer more. But this all boils down to the Government having it wrong. If they deem someone clinically extremely vulnerable & request them to stay at home then if they can’t work from home it should be automatic furlough. Not giving the employer the choice of sick pay at £94 a week or furlough. It’s all wrong & it needs addressed. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Hi @ccurtis2106 and welcome to our community.  I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing something similar and I entirely understand how frustrated you must be feeling :(

I hope you have some luck with your MSP and please keep us updated with how it goes tomorrow.  

• Bonnie1961
    Bonnie1961 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Hi I have just received sick pay for January but I was on furlough before. I’m shielding and what I don’t understand is why they  furloughed me before but not now. I can’t work from home because I work in a school kitchen. 
  • Shnek64
    Hi, just an update on my situation. 1st of all, sorry to c so many people in bad situations. My Company do not want to furlough so they have resolved to pay me full pay and extend my 6 months full sick pay. 
  • Bonnie1961
    Thats something I guess. 
    I’ve just been told that it costs companies money to put us on furlough ! 
    Don’t know that I believe that. 
    Apart from the 20 o/o top up which is voluntary.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats good they are doing that some company's csnt get furlough or don't apply my daughter was in same position 
  • Shnek64
    Surely if they don't take up the govs offer of furlough they must give you your pay. Govt making me stay at home so they are willing to pay. If the company turn tht offer down to only offer ssp my question is why ? Do they hope you are going to leave ? Doesn't make sense to not furlough after investing in your training.
  • Bonnie1961
    My thoughts exactly!! They paid me ssp. That’s less than half my wages. 
    I’m not sick and I’m willing to work. 
    But because I’ve been told to shield I can’t work.
    seems very unfair to me. X

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Ah that's a different matter you cant have furlough if your shielding only sick pay  i have two clients shrilding and they can only get sick pay 

Brightness