Help with moving home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with moving home

ryan123
ryan123 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
I might be moving home soon and because i rent privately i won't be taking most of the furniture with me. I'll need to buy a sofa, coffee table, dining table etc. I really don't have the funds right now. 

I read about 'budgeting loans' on Government site but these need paying back (if i have to, then it's an option). I also read about discretionary housing payments, which sound like they're mostly for paying rent, rather than helping to buy items. 

Does anybody know where i might get some help here? Should i perhaps call my local council or housing association?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

There is very little available for help with buying household items apart from as you mentioned budgeting loan 

Some charities may be able to help but none cine to mind 

I hope others have more advice for you 

Good luck with the move 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI

Discretionary housing payments are for help with any excess rent and moving costs, rather than for help with furniture etc. Budgting loans do need to be repaid back, although if you move house then you may have to claim Universal Credit. (please see your other thread for advice regarding this)

Local council sometimes have grants for things like white goods and flooring but it does depend on the local council, some have them, some don't,

Other than that gumtree are usually very good for cheap furniture. Some people often give things away for free. Same with facebook local sites, have a look on there.

Good luck with moving.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    There are good reasons to use second hand, every time it is at all possible.  For the planet. For the worrying chemicals new things give off. Because you can get better quality stuff second hand than you would ever have afforded new. 
     Because of course it can be either cheap, very cheap or, often, free.    People get rid of good stuff, for many reasons, and often they don't want or need the money, or don't have time to hang around waiting for a buyer, or don't want to pay for a van to take stuff to the dump, and in any case don't like dumping perfectly good stuff, sometimes good as new.   They would rather give it away.  Give it to a good cause, or just give it for the good feeling.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    All I can add is also try "freegle" and the salvation army. But you might struggle to get second hand stuff during lockdown i'm afraid.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with @newborn I have given away lots of items in the past just to get them out of the way and I advertised them on facebook selling site 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ryan123

When we moved, the sales section of Facebook was always a good place to keep an eye on, you get some ridiculously good bargains on there. 

Good luck :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ryan123
    ryan123 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, i know of and have used the likes of Gumtree, Freecycle, Freegle, FB Marketplace etc. 

Brightness