Is tech more accessible due to COVID-19 and what do you use? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is tech more accessible due to COVID-19 and what do you use?

Options
Lucy411
Lucy411 Scope Member Posts: 74 Courageous
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
Morning, Interested to hear what tech people are using and how it improves your life. I’m writing an article for Disability Horizons
on how assistive technology for the disabled community is growing due to COVID-19

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

There are a few posts about accessibility tech in our sight and vision impairment section 

Hope this helps I am visually impaired but mainly just use the accessibility features on my devices 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lucy411

Good luck with the article!  A browse through our posts tagged as about 'technology' might help you with your research :)  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lucy411
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

There are a few posts about accessibility tech in our sight and vision impairment section 

Hope this helps I am visually impaired but mainly just use the accessibility features on my devices 

Thanks @janer1967
  • Lucy411
    Options
    Hi @Lucy411

Good luck with the article!  A browse through our posts tagged as about 'technology' might help you with your research :)  

Thanks @Cher_Scope I'll have an explore.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with the article @Lucy411, sounds fascinating :) 

Firstly, what the pandemic has done is forced technology companies to make their products more accessible, even if it's something as simple as just an online offering whereas previously they may have only operated in person. 

Platforms like Zoom and Microsoft Teams have become more accessible, particularly as a visually impaired individual, and the range of keyboard short cuts on each application are super useful. Given that most people have been at home and communicating by video call this past year, these sorts of apps have had to become more usable and accessible  for everyone. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Lucy411
    Options
    Good luck with the article @Lucy411, sounds fascinating :) 

Firstly, what the pandemic has done is forced technology companies to make their products more accessible, even if it's something as simple as just an online offering whereas previously they may have only operated in person. 

Platforms like Zoom and Microsoft Teams have become more accessible, particularly as a visually impaired individual, and the range of keyboard short cuts on each application are super useful. Given that most people have been at home and communicating by video call this past year, these sorts of apps have had to become more usable and accessible  for everyone. 

Hi @Ross_Scope, just finishing off my article. Are the shortcuts you refer to new since covid? Found lots of access info re video about what is available just not what was there before. I've always just used platforms as standard.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I never noticed them before Covid @Lucy411 so possibly? They've certainly been made clearer and more visible since Covid, whereas before if they did exist I had no idea about it. Now you see the shortcuts when you hover over the keys like mute and toggle video
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness