Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can you get carers allowance while earning slightly higher

samahirasamahira Member Posts: 38 Connected
I wanted some information on carers allowance. My daughter was my carer until she started working full time in November. She informed Dwp to stop carers allowance in writing. They seem to be still making the payments up until now. But after six weeks of her employment she left as she had to provide care for me. She now started working for two days a week but still earns little bit over the threshold to claim carers allowance.
can anyone advise me if she can still claim carers allowance as she genuinely had to go part time because of me. 


  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,116 Disability Gamechanger
    There are some exceptions mainly based around pension contributions, but in general if you earn over £128 a weeks you don'y qualify; heres some info:
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @samahira as woodbine has correctly advised here, if your daughter earns more than £128 per week after deductions they she won't be able to claim carers allowance.

    If payments are continuing to be made then she should really ring them, rather than rely on sending a letter. The best time to ring will be first thing in the morning when they open. Any overpayment from the time she started working will need to be repaid back.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.