Supermarkets to ban customers who refuse to wear masks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supermarkets to ban customers who refuse to wear masks

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55633843

Asda, Tesco and Morrison's have all pledged to ban customers who refuse to wear masks while shopping to try and combat the rise in Covid-19 cases in the UK.

Please wear a mask if you can while food shopping unless you are medically exempt.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a good idea that they are becoming pro-active, but in all honesty I have rarely seen anybody in a supermarket (or when open other stores) who were not wearing a mask, but well done to morrisons for taking a lead on this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    woodbine said:
    It's a good idea that they are becoming pro-active, but in all honesty I have rarely seen anybody in a supermarket (or when open other stores) who were not wearing a mask, but well done to morrisons for taking a lead on this.
    There are some people who are anti-mask though, and refuse to wear them.

IMO I should be exempt because I have Autism, but because the Clowns in government think I don't have to lip read due to my deafness, I have to wear mask! Jesus wept!

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also haven’t seen that many people not wearing masks. I have heard reports on here of people seeing masses of people not wearing masks which I’m not doubting, people have no reason to lie, but where I live people seem to be very compliant. Of the very few who are not wearing a mask, most have a lanyard around their neck explaining they don’t have to wear one.

Still if they stand up against those few who disregard what is going on then that has to be a good thing. :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    There are some people who are anti-mask though, and refuse to wear them.

IMO I should be exempt because I have Autism, but because the Clowns in government think I don't have to lip read due to my deafness, I have to wear mask! Jesus wept!

The below may be wrong as I haven’t researched it since the rules were introduced, so they may have changed but this was the case when they were introduced:

I believe you are exempt and you can get a lanyard to wear. Autism is one of the reasonable excuses.

Also, because you need to lip read, if you have a carer with you, they are also exempt because you need to see their mouth.

I have autism as well and I could be exempt if I wanted to but I choose to wear one as it doesn’t cause me an issue.

That said if you have managed this far wearing one I’d maybe encourage you to carry on but has to be your choice.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have hearing loss and I wear a mask when I go out.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ami2301 said:
    Do you lip read though? If so you should have an exemption card.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ami2301 said:

I try to but its difficult with a vision impairment. For the duration of being amongst other people, I'd rather wear a mask and not understand what is said.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ami2301 said:
    Ami2301 said:

I try to but its difficult with a vision impairment. For the duration of being amongst other people, I'd rather wear a mask and not understand what is said.
    Fair point.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am trying g not to be awful here but if you lip read then it doesn't matter if you wear a mask becsuse your not lip reading yourself and everyone else has to wear a mask anyway  or have I misread sorry no offence 

My friend who is deaf lip reads if the other person can't sign but she takes a card and shows them she is deaf 

Which has helped her 

Brightness