PIP Mandatory Reconsideration success — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Mandatory Reconsideration success

sombra
sombra Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, I posted back in December pretty distraught about my enhanced daily and standard mobility pip being reviewed and then assessed as all 0 across every activity thus removing my award entirely.

After 6 weeks of hell and stress, with my partner phoning them every day, speaking to 3 case managers: one marked the case as urgent which appeared to make no difference, the second called us to discuss the MR and this did not make a difference, and finally after more calls for a week and a half and my partner speaking to one very helpful person who got irritated by the previous case managers for not handling the case and arranged a case manager to call for a decision over the phone, he spoke to a third case manager who asked the same questions the health assessor did, I was finally awarded enhanced daily and standard mobility back.

We are on legacy benefits and my partner told me when he spoke to income support that they had said "youre very lucky, most people don't get it back in time to not trigger a move to UC". 

I'm waiting for the letter to arrive to see where I've scored points and how long the award is, but if they've given me a short award im tempted to go to tribunal anyway because my difficulties are chronic due to autism, anxiety and pain from Fibromyalgia and aren't likely to change and ive already been receiving pip for 6 years (2 awards, this is my 3rd) at the same rate and I absolutely do not want to go through this hell again in 2 years. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing and fingers crossed it's a longer award 
  • sombra
    edited January 2021
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks for sharing and fingers crossed it's a longer award 
    Thank you, I wanted to share to show you can have some success at MR but my gosh you have to be persistent and have nerves of steel. My partner spoke to some really awful people at DWP who were so deliberately unhelpful. It took 6 weeks of calling every day throughout December and january to finally speak to someone who moved the case along to the decision stage. It wouldn't have been so urgent had we not been on legacy benefits and he'd explained that to them, we were facing all of our household income being cancelled mid January. Its been very stressful 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I can imagine your stress just try and relax now it's all over 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry you've had such a stressful experience @sombra. As Jane has said, try and relax until you've heard back, and then you can plot out your next steps, should you need to challenge the decision. Please do keep us updated! 

How have you been getting on otherwise? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • sombra
    I've had the letter and they've only awarded it for 2 and a half years to April 2023. I feel so defeated. Ive been claiming pip since 2014 and this just feels deliberately cheeky. I cant go through this stress again in 12 to 18 months. I'm going to appeal. I'm in bed with a pain flare up before this letter even came and now the stress is making my body feel like its burning. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that the award length isn't as long as you'd hoped for @sombra. Please try your best to relax, it's a good thing that you have received the award and you did great to fight for it. If you do go to appeal for the length then I wish you the best of luck.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • courtneycampbell09
    courtneycampbell09 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I’m in a very similar situation as you, I was on enhanced DL from 2018-February 2021 for autism and anxiety. Only awarded this after we took it to tribunal. 

Got my decision back 2 weeks ago to say I’d been declined with 0 points again. The report was full of lies such as “engaged and responded with the assessor”...I barely spoke because I was so anxious, my mum did all the talking for me. 

It’s so stressful because we know how dishonest they are being. Applied for MR with a very lengthy letter but am expecting to go to tribunal like last time...

• hollymurray40
    hollymurray40 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    @sombra was there any update with this?

I have applied for PIP over 4 months ago, as I have bad mental health and pain & fybromyalgia and heart condition. I somehow managed to score a 0 in both sections, which is crazy. So i have now sent MR with GP letter, 26 sicknotes from last 2 years, medication list, psychiatrist letter... what are my chances of getting any points and receiving it? 

Im not sure what else I can provide, i feel so drained and panicking about an outcome (which will probs take ages).

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.