SDP Gateway Ending — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP Gateway Ending

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
Hi,

So rather frustratingly, I still haven't been able to find a more suitable property with a willing landlord before the SDP gateway ends.

Because I live on the border between 3 councils, I will try to stay in my own, but if a suitable property did appear in another, I just wanted to know exactly how much income I'd lose compared to now?  That would of course affect the amount of rent I could cover.

I'm currently on ESA support group plus Enhanced daily living PIP which allows me SDP & one bed rate HB.

Thanks

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Presumably you have gone online to check the three areas to find the H.B rates and have widened your search?  Your preference to stay inside one boundary is understandable.   
    (And infuriatingly so, because for crying out loud why why why would central and local government permit a situation which discourages and even penalises people moving around the country, when their life circumstances change and they need to be near a job opportunity, near a person who needs their help, or near a person who can give help they need?).
    Of course, central and local government policies must believe, strangely, they are right to make every effort to stamp out this tendency people have, of wanting to live in the area they want or need to live. 

It is equally hard to comprehend why those same policymakers are determined to stop people moving in and out of the most appropriate size and style of housing.  Possibly the senior civil servants and politicians are so insulated from the real world, it doesn't cross their minds that the five bedroom townhouse and the ten bedroom second home and the little holiday home in a warm climate and half a dozen houses they rent out for profit are not a normal way of life.   There are obstacles to ordinary people whose children have grown, and who wish to downsize.  Obstacles for ordinary people who divorce in middle or later life, and who wish to sell the matrimonial home, and buy two small flats with anything left after paying the divorce lawyers and the conveyancing lawyers and the new will lawyers.   Unaffordable  mortgages and silly prices are supported from the public purse, but only for 'young' people (Age Hate tells you that Old, or middle aged people should sleep in a field, because ONLY 'young' people need a roof over their heads.   Will a retired person get a mortgage?  Will a near-retirement age person get a mortgage?   Guess. 

"But," you will hear the spokesmen for 'the young' whine", 'first time buyers' are the only ones who need a mortgage, and a strange undefined group called 'generation rent'   are the only ones who need private rentals, and another superior group of people called 'young families' are the only ones who need subsidised secure housing for life."
     (Oddly enough, in the imaginations and policies of central and local government and the massed crowds of 'representative spokesmen  on housing,' anyone caring for an adult, child, parent or sibling or extremely disabled partner, has absolutely no need of a roof over their heads, accessible or not, and obviously lifelong security of tenure is not a thing which matters to them unless they have recently been breeding additions to the population explosion)
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited January 2021
    newborn said:
    Presumably you have gone online to check the three areas to find the H.B rates and have widened your search? 
    This isn't about HB rates.  It's about the SDP transitional period ending.  Anyone on legacy benefits moving to a different council after Jan 17th would be forced to apply for Universal Credit instead.  I know I'll be worse off losing the SDP (£66 a week!) but not sure how the other rates compare.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Good grief.  Systems are designed for the benefit of systems, not real people!  Good luck, hope it works out.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

The date the SDP protection ends is 27th January 2021. After this date if you move to a different local council then a claim for UC will be need and your ESA support group award will be honoured in UC. The elements you will receive from UC will be as follows.

Standard allowance £342.72 (under 25) or £409.89 (over 25)
    LCWRA element (Support Group) £341.92.
    SDP transitional protection because you have LCWRA is £120.
    Then add your LHA rate on top of those figures.

Also be aware that the standard allowance of UC has been increased due to Covid and is expected to return to it's normal amount from April 2021, which is approx £90 per month less than the figures quoted above.

Lastly the SDP protection will only be added if you still satisfy the SDP conditions when you move house.

Once the SDP protection ends on 27th January i'm sure the benefit calculators will update so you will be use to use one of the and it will also tell you what you'll be entitled to.

Don't forget though that UC is paid monthly, not fortnightly. Unless you live in Scotland where it can be paid fortnightly.
    SDP transitional amounts here.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    One thing i forgot to mention. With the £120 transitional protection, if other elements increase then there will be an equivelant reduction in the transitional amount. See link for confirmation and scroll down to reduction of amount.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Excellent, thanks @poppy123456 Hopefully those figures will help others in the same situation as well.  :)

Brightness