How can I get help with money? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I get help with money?

Lisatho11987777
Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
If you cant claim pip universal credit or job seekers because you havent been here long enough how can you get help with money 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisathomas50

I hope you don't mind, but I've budged this post over to our What benefits am I entitled to? discussion group and tweaked the title to make it easier to spot.  

Just to clarify - what do you mean when you say you haven't been here long enough? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you asking the question based on a person coming here to live from another country?
    If so then looking for work or asking family to help with living costs is there only option until they qualify for benefits help.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    You have spoken to him before poppy  he lives with his sister he is sorting his settlement papers out scope are giving him job support but he needs money fie himself 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope I am asking for lesly he has got so far with his settlement papers  he has lack of trust i have given him several options  he said he has spoken to the job center he lives with his sister he is getting job support from scope hot my job support message after
  • poppy123456
    I thought maybe you were talking about this person. At the moment there's no help for him with money situation until he gets his paperwork sorted. UC is the only benefit that's available to apply for because it's replaced all the old legacy benefits.

With the PIP, he won't be able to apply at all until he's been in the country for 2 out of the past 3 years.

Thankfully, he lives with his sister rather than elsewhere.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 I have told him he cant claim for pip  I have got him help with his settlement stuff he has had to do achealth assessment and he is waiting  for the job center to get back to him he is also getting help from job support with scope 

I have got corona virus and flagging a bit so trying other ways to get help for him he has problems with trust and things but I get on ok with him his sister sent me a message on his messaging thing all he has ever done is a seaman when he was liceing in goa  his family are here not just his sister  he is afraid of havring to go back I have told him other places he can get in touch with his sister has two children 

Do what I have told him do far is correct  then I am waiting for some one from Welsh support to get back to me aswel as he lives in wales 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @lisathomas50 That's very kind and supportive of you posting this message for Lesly.  I hope Poppy's responses help clear things up regards benefit entitlement. 

Is Lesly managing okay food wise?  The community team are happy to discuss this further confidentially, if he'd like to email community@scope.org.uk or call Scope's free helpline on: 0808 800 3333.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    Once the settlement status has been granted then he should be able to claim UC. Then if his health condition prevents him working he will need a fit note from his GP to start the work capability assessment process off.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope he lives with his sister so he is ok but feels he is a burden  as he csnt provide for himself and I think thsts whst will force him back to goa he has lived in Swindon aswel

Its not easy to get help is it I am glad he isn't on his own  I know what its like to struggle  I am trying to help him as much as u can now in case  I get worse as I have corona virus he needs to get his things sorted quicker the settlement  place has told  him

I am trying to get all the help I can to help him his trust isn't good  and through private messages I have learnt alot about him 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @poppy123456 I am asking this question si I am clear in understanding  how long does that take he has only been here just over 2months
  • poppy123456
    That's very kind of you to help him. It's a difficult situation i agree. I'm afraid like with all decisions, there's no timescales. It won't help him though if he continues to leave the UK and come back a few months later.

Although if he can prove he had the right to reside on 31st December 2020 then he can claim UC if he's a job seeker but his health conditions may prevent that.

What he really should be doing is getting some expert advice with the right to reside and pre settled status. I think there's really only so much help you can give through the internet. Explaining your situation is always easier through a phone call.
  • Lisatho11987777
    It is hard  he does want to stay here  inthink he has sorted that part out now  he has done his job support today which I suggested with scope so he is getting help with that and he has had a call back from universal credit today  I have suggested he contact his local councilor and citizens advice
  • Lisatho11987777
    Thank god he can get money now his claim has gone in and he csn have the advanced payment to help out got there in the end 
  • poppy123456
    They've accepted his UC claim? That was quick. Although if he's only just applied then he won't know for sure until he has his statement in 4 weeks.
  • Lisatho11987777
    He applied just over two weeks ago I told him to put his claim in  just to try he got his call back today  and  he can have an advance payment  his first payment is in two weeks I think 

He did his job support today with scope today so things are comeing along now

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.