My son turned 16 today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son turned 16 today

debxx01
debxx01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I get DLA for my son he has autism. I’m a little confused, they sent a letter asking if my son was able to have pip paid to him once he reaches 16, I replied and told them it was best in my account as he isn’t able to deal with finances. I then received a reply saying I was his appointee. His DLA was then switched to the separate account I set aside for him and today we received just over half his normal amount and it was paid a week early. Does this mean it will roll over to pip with them approving me looking after his finances or am I supposed to make a fresh claim? 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,332 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

He won't automatically switch over to PIP. Once you became his appointee you should have received a letter inviting you to apply before a certain date. Once you've done this you'll be sent the PIP2 for (how your disability affects you for) to fill in and return with all his evidence. Did you receive a letter asking you to apply for PIP?

During normal times most people had face to face assessments but because they are currently suspended, most people are having telephone assessments. Once that is done a report is returned to DWP which will contain information about his conditions, how they affect him and recommendations. Once a decision maker looks at that and all evidence that's sent a decision will be made on his claim.

This process could potentially take several months.

You need to ring DLA to ask why you've only received half the usual  amount and they'll be able to tell you what's going on.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @debxx01, happy birthday to your son :) 

I hope the above advice has been helpful
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, and a big 'happy birthday' to your son too @debxx01 :)

I also hope Poppy's advice has helped, but please do let us know if you have any further questions. Please feel free to take a look around our virtual coffee lounge too, check-out our recent discussions, and get involved in any conversations that interest you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • debxx01
    debxx01 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you ladies, I called them and they said the money received on his birthday was part payment, they haven't yet sent the letter asking about p.i.p . They have me down as his appointee so I guess I will have to wait and see what happens next. 
  • poppy123456
     Were you suposed to receive all the payment today?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • CherylC87
    CherylC87 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi ? sorry for jumping on this thread but I'm in the same boat. My daughter turned 16 on the 22nd Dec 2020. Her award is until December 2021. I received a letter from dwp months ago about being her appointee which I filled out and got a letter back. I received December's DLA payment then a 1 off weekly payment on her birthday. But I was due DLA today but it hasn't went in. I haven't had a letter asking about PIP either. I'm really worried ? can anyone help. Thanks x
  • poppy123456
    CherylC87 said:
    Hi ? sorry for jumping on this thread but I'm in the same boat. My daughter turned 16 on the 22nd Dec 2020. Her award is until December 2021. I received a letter from dwp months ago about being her appointee which I filled out and got a letter back. I received December's DLA payment then a 1 off weekly payment on her birthday. But I was due DLA today but it hasn't went in. I haven't had a letter asking about PIP either. I'm really worried ? can anyone help. Thanks x

HI and welcome,

We can only guess what's happened here and i'm afraid you will need to ring DLA to ask because they are the only ones that can tell you what's happened.
  • CherylC87
    CherylC87 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yeah I'll give them a call tomorrow as there offices are closed now. Thanks for replying so quickly ? xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @CherylC87 :) Please do let us know how you get on tomorrow! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    Hi and welcome ladies ....My grandson has severe autism and turned 16 last year ....Connor ( my grandson) was invited to apply for PIP ....but remained on DLA until PIP was awarded . Connor cannot read or write and he can say yes and no( sometimes)  ....but has no idea of money and no concentration whatsoever . The DWP wrote to my daughter two years ago and said they were taking Connor's mobility off him , he could not go anywhere on his own but the lovely DWP added on their letter that if my daughter appealed their decision then she could lose all his DLA . So my daughter accepted their decision to take away his mobility ....now he is on PIP he gets everything he is due . My daughter filled out the PIP application form explaining his daily ( and nightly) problems . ....she also did a phone assessment. You could get an assessment at any time so please take time and write down all his daily problems just incase they phone you . If/when they phone you , you want to be ready to relay all his problems and how he needs your help to do everyday things that many of us take for granted .
    It's a big worry indeed ....so if you have any questions then please give them a phone , as poppy said .

Good luck ladies?

• poppy123456
    When filling out the PIP forms it is also worth remember that PIP and DLA are 2 very different benefits. Night time care/needs were always considered when applying for DLA but this doesn't apply to PIP. PIP is about how your conditions affect you at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period in various activities/descriptors know as the PIP descriptors. Which can be found here.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.