Pips and esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pips and esa

Options
mreddy6
mreddy6 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My son gets esa and pips At the moment they are paid into my bank account and he has a separate account for small things like magazines ( he is autistic so I am his appointee ) We also set him up with an isa I understand that amount over £6000 is reduced by a certain amount Being stupid I didn’t take into account the balance of his esa that’s in my account would also have to be taken into account so no doubt I will owe them money That’s ok cos it’s my fault what I now want to confirm is if pips is paid into same account as esa will pips be counted as capital and therefore subject to the same rules as esa ?Hope that makes sense 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,316 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    HI and welcome,

PIP isn't means tested so any savings he has will not affect the amount he's entitled to.

However, for Income related ESA then all of his savings are counted, whether they are in a bank, at home or in a ISA. For any savings over £6,000 then his income related ESA will be reduced by £1 for every £250 (or part there of) over that amount. This means that the money he has from his PIP is also counted towards those savings.

Savings of more than £16,000 then he won't be entitled to any means tested benefits.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.