Marriage and Relationships — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Marriage and Relationships

Options
imrhod
imrhod Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm 17 and was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at a young age (5 or 6, I believe). For the most part, I have managed to settle in nicely in regards to social life. I've had many relationships (meaningless high school relationships, albeit), but I'm still very scared for myself when I go out and seek relationships, and possibly marriage, when I'm older. Is anyone on this forum high-functioning like me, and if so, have you been successful in your adult relationships and marriages or have you heard of such a scenario? Thanks!

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello @imrhod and welcome to our community.  It's great to meet you.

I'm sorry you haven't received any replies to your question yet.  It's been a busy old day on our community so I apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

Many of our members have Asperger's and our Autism and Asperger's discussion board dedicated to chat about it would be a good place to look for others stories.

I personally don't have Asperger's so can only offer advice from what I've seen on the TV.  I'm not sure if you saw 'Love on the spectrum' on Netflix (which received mixed reviews in terms of Autism/Asperger's representation) but some of the couples on there had happily been in long-term relationships and were dating, with one pair becoming engaged.

It's easier said than done, but I'd try not to worry too much about the long-term picture.  Take it a day at a time and know that having Asperger's isn't a barrier to being in a meaningful relationship.  I'm sure your person is out there somewhere  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @imrhod and welcome to scope, the only advice I have to offer is that the right person will come along at the right time, at 17 you have many many years ahead of you try and remember that.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness