I'm worried that I'll be forced into a residential home in a few years. Is there anything I can do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm worried that I'll be forced into a residential home in a few years. Is there anything I can do?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Topic.

Since the Cluster Project disbanded a few years back due to lack of funding, tenants get almost no support from the HA nowadays, and I'm one of the older tenants being mid 40s nearly.

Eventually though, I will probably end up in more supported living, especially if anything happens to my Parents, who are both in their early 70s now, I am terrified though of the prospect of going into residential care, I've seen those care Homes, the staff are so low paid they just go through the motions and leave the clients to vegetate in front of the idiot box (aka the TV) and don't interact or offer trips out or anything.

In 2002 I went for a week to a respite place up Woodhouse, hated it due to solely being in my room playing Xbox all the time, with no support from the staff, on the third day I rang to come Home, the kicker was that one night, I saw a quiz advertised in the Stag, for the next night, so I thought "Ooh I wouldn't mind going to that", I gave the staff 24 hours notice, and on the day they turned round and said no because they didn't have the staff available to support me! 

I am concerned that post lockdown, in a few years, the same kind of things will happen again if I'm forced into residential care. However, on the rent I can afford on HB and various benefits, I'm also concerned that if I go in a Council House, I'll end up living on a rough Estate such as the Manor or somewhere in s5, or even worse, Park Hill in Town.

Is there anything I can legally do to preempt this while I'm still young enough and my Parents are in good health?

Tagged:

Comments

• Roadrunner
    Roadrunner Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Hi, 
    mom not sure this is much use to you but I’m virtually bed bound and when up I’m in my wheelchair. I have a PA who looks after me for around 47 hours a week. I live with the family so they have to pick up the rest of my hours but I do know, if I was alone I could apply for 24 hours a day care. I pay nothing towards this, which makes a change and was set up with an old social worker of mine. I know they still offer this as the company I use to pay her is overloaded with work. Maybe this would be an option for you. If your parents are sorting your care now this is something you need to get onto. I also live in my own home so don’t be put off. Get a social worker out now. Good luck my friend x
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi, 
    mom not sure this is much use to you but I’m virtually bed bound and when up I’m in my wheelchair. I have a PA who looks after me for around 47 hours a week. I live with the family so they have to pick up the rest of my hours but I do know, if I was alone I could apply for 24 hours a day care. I pay nothing towards this, which makes a change and was set up with an old social worker of mine. I know they still offer this as the company I use to pay her is overloaded with work. Maybe this would be an option for you. If your parents are sorting your care now this is something you need to get onto. I also live in my own home so don’t be put off. Get a social worker out now. Good luck my friend x
    Thanks but I don't require 24 hour care, I am not THAT disabled (yet).

Although in a few years that could be an option, however at the moment we're battling social services on other issues and we don't have a named social worker.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @MrAllen1976  I have to say that my good lady worked in care for 15 years and she never worked in a bad home, my mothering law is currently in a home and the staff are fantastic, and my own mum spent her final years in a home and they were all excellent carers who went the extra mile. A friend of ours worked for many years managing a small care unit for younger people and having visited it on a number of occasions I found it to be outstanding they even took residents on foreign holidays.

But again i'm confused two weeks ago you were talking about looking for work but now you are thinking you will have to go into care?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Alot of care workers and support workers are under paid and under staffed. They work extremely hard for the money they get. My daughter is a care worker for disabled vulnerable children and before that she was a support worker for adults with all kinds of disabilites. She's just returned to work after 10 months maternity leave and the past week she's worked 62 hours.

I agree at the moment there's no where that anyone can go to, other than a quick walk for excercise because of the lockdown but i've known my daughter take her clients to all sorts of places, including theme parks. 2002 was almost 20 years ago.... a lot has changed since then.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    @MrAllen1976  I have to say that my good lady worked in care for 15 years and she never worked in a bad home, my mothering law is currently in a home and the staff are fantastic, and my own mum spent her final years in a home and they were all excellent carers who went the extra mile. A friend of ours worked for many years managing a small care unit for younger people and having visited it on a number of occasions I found it to be outstanding they even took residents on foreign holidays.

But again i'm confused two weeks ago you were talking about looking for work but now you are thinking you will have to go into care?
    I'm still looking for work, but I am 45 in April and both my Parents are in their 70s, eventually I'll become too old to work, I'm struggling now because I've only ever done voluntary work and due to personal circumstances I can't work full time.

The reason I am asking about this is because I'm planning for the future should anything happen to my Parents or they become too old to care for me full time.

• woodbine
    @MrAllen1976 maybe you could look at your personal circumstances and seek full time work...but i'm not going over old ground again.
    At 45 you still have 21 maybe 22 years to work, and your parents might have longer to live..hopefully.
    I suspect that living in the present might help you stop worrying about the future, it can be less of a worry. B)

• [Deleted User]
    I cannot work full time, due to the carers and also being on enhanced rate PIP.

• woodbine
    Doesn't matter what rate of PIP you are getting you can work full time, in fact you could earn a £million per week and still get it.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    I cannot work full time, due to the carers and also being on enhanced rate PIP.

I think we've advised you on this before but just to recap. People do work and claim PIP, even full time workers. However, if the work you do (part time also) contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you at your next review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976

I can understand your concerns here, it must worry you. Just wondering if you have had an honest and open discussion with your parents about your feelings on this? They might have some useful insight or words of wisdom to offer.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    woodbine said:
    Doesn't matter what rate of PIP you are getting you can work full time, in fact you could earn a £million per week and still get it.
    That's not the main issue, I have carers, paid for by social services, and any hours I lose with them due to working risks being removed permanently <moderator removed, per user request>.

• [Deleted User]
    Hi, 
    Meep Meep! Has the Coyote caught you yet? :smile:

Yeah sorry just a pun on your username lol.

• woodbine
    I'm not sure why this two week old thread has been given new life ?

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    I'm not sure why this two week old thread has been given new life ?
    Hi @woodbine

As you know, all our members are allowed to post on threads anytime they choose.  Please be mindful of making comments that suggest otherwise.  Thank you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    @Cher_Scope noted and understood

Brightness