Did you know what support was available for you and your child? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Did you know what support was available for you and your child?

Options
Lakey88
Lakey88 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am an SEN teacher in the early years and I am always so astounded that many parents come to me when first starting at school, with such lack of support. I would love to be able to offer more support but I am not sure how to do this? 

Did you know what support was available for you and your child? 0 votes

Did you feel supported around the time of diagnosis?
0%
Did you know where to look for such support?
0%
Would it be beneficial to have someone who could support with practical strategies in the home?
0%
If this person could also provide support with paperwork, statements, schooling, would that be of a benefit?
0%
Would you pay for such a service?
0%

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi @Lakey88 and welcome to our community.

You've caught on to a key issue we see in members posts and I think there's a genuine need for improved communication around early years support.  It's great that you want to do something about it.

Unfortunately, our polls don't allow people to select multiple options so if anyone wants to leave more feedback, please do so by leaving comments below  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,609 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I want to answer for myself if that is OK as I have some experience. I’m now an adult but have experienced the SEN world as a child.

My parents’ experience with me was that parents get zero support unless they actively seek it - support is not offered to you, you need to actively seek it. You also need to make a fuss and demand support, if you are a quiet person you will often get brushed to one side. What’s more you can’t just generally ask for support - you need to some how know what support is available that you need and ask specifically for that. It was only one very good teacher who pulled my parents to one side and said you really need to push for support.

I think a service for people who need support, but don’t know exactly what help is available, to explain their options would be of benefit.

Yes I’m sure my parents would have paid for this service.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Interesting discussion @Lakey88. Speaking as a parent of two SEN children, I can tell you that the support that was offered when both started school was essentially non-existent. From my perspective, supportive statements from someone who had training and understanding of the challenges my children faced would have been absolutely fantastic. We've struggled to even get our children assessed because of the enormous waiting lists, so every piece of constructive evidence would have been invaluable. Instead we received a statement from a teacher who didn't believe in autism, but regularly complained that my daughter's 'ticks' and 'ritualistic behaviours' were a nuisance and disruptive.

One of the huge issues we faced (and from what others we've spoken to describe) and has been echoed by @66Mustang, is the lack of knowledge as to what support should be available. For example we'd meet with teachers and be asked a very generic "well what support would you like?". When you don't know what's available or what can be done to support your child it leaves you very much on the back-foot. 

As @66Mustang and others have said, it often seems that unless you make a huge fuss and demand support, none will be offered. Obviously I understand that schools work within constraints, but not all parents are able to offer the same level of fight and it shouldn't mean that their child should miss out on the support. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness