can i cancel my blue badge application — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can i cancel my blue badge application

happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 486 Pioneering
i was told by my doctor to apply for the blue badge with my local council. i filled out the forms and paid the fee. They have asked for an indepdent assessment. The problem I am not great around people. I struggle being in the same room as another person, and with my experience with an assessor from PIP, i am feeling stressful over the situation. so, i am asking if i can cancel the application
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    if you get in touch with them @happyfella, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to cancel it. 

Would it be easier for you if you could have the assessment over the phone?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • happyfella
    Yes it would be easier for me. I suffer from panic attacks and other issues, and i struggle as it is when i have to see a GP or doctors and councillors. It takes me a couple of sessions with my councillors to feel kind of at ease. but the idea of me going to see an indepdent assessor is causing me panic attacks. I would rather cancel my application than go through that amount of stress. but if they said they could do it over the phone then that would be fine. not sure how they could do it over the phone though.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    It's likely that the assessment will not be in person because of the lockdown so it maybe worth your while contacting your local council to ask them this question. If it's done over the phone would that make it easier for you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    this is the email they sent me, so i looks like it is going to be face to face

Unfortunately due to the COVID-19 pandemic we are having to put your application on hold until our medical advisors are fully operational again.

Once back to normal working pattern they will contact you to arrange an Independent Medical Assessment.

• poppy123456
    Ah yes, then it will be in person.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • happyfella
    I will contact them today and tell them i need to cancel and will explain why i have to cancel
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    You are perfectly within your rights to cancel, not sure they will refund the fee though?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    I'm surprised they asked for pyament before the BB was awarded. When i've applied for mine in the past (i automatically qualify) they've never asked for payment until the badge has been agreed.
  • happyfella
    yes when you fill the application in they ask for payment before it can be processed. I know i will get grief from my doctor for cancelling the application, but i cannot go through the stress of facing another person.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Not to jump on this thread but I was wondering if it's purely mental based issues that would qualify you for a Blue Badge or do you have to diagnosed physical issues as well?

I've been considering applying for one myself as I'm really struggling with supermarket visits now.  I don't understand whether it's increased anxiety & panic (worse than I've ever had before in 20+ years of anxiety) or whether it's a lack of energy or what's going on but when I get to the supermarket I feel really shaky/shivery, wobbly, nauseous, lightheaded etc.  I used to happily park away from everyone else and walk across the carpark but am now having to find a space as close to the front as possible, and with enough to fully open the drivers door.  Would be easier with a Blue Badge though I know there are some people that would resent a Blue Badge being used by someone like myself.

Either way, if face to face assessment is the only option then I'd have to leave it myself as well.  Will be interested to hear what you decide.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    If you feel that cancelling the pplication is the best option for you @happyfella then please do so, and I hope it goes well. Have you considered requesting a telephone assessment and explaining your reasoning? Even though the wording suggests it'll be in person, that doesn't mean they won't allow exceptions.

Hi @OverlyAnxious, don't know if this helps but you can read about eligibility here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    Thanks @Ross_Scope I read the governments own eligibility thing last week but didn't see anything about mental health.  I note that one includes:

If you're not automatically eligible

You can still get a badge if:

• you have long term problems walking or going to places - including problems caused by stress, anxiety or other mental health issues
     So it looks like I may be eligible.
  • happyfella
    my problems include chronic pain. I have a slipped disc in my neck and serious shoulder injury which causes me a lot of pain. When it is bad then i struggle to walk. Because of the pain i fall a lot. On good days i am ok with walking. But like the past few days walking has been so unsafe for me. I also suffer from panic attacks, and confusion.
  • OverlyAnxious
    my problems include chronic pain. I have a slipped disc in my neck and serious shoulder injury which causes me a lot of pain. When it is bad then i struggle to walk. Because of the pain i fall a lot. On good days i am ok with walking. But like the past few days walking has been so unsafe for me. I also suffer from panic attacks, and confusion.
    Ah ok, thanks for that.  I take it you either don't get PIP or didn't score enough on Mobility to be automatically eligible?
  • poppy123456
    Thanks @Ross_Scope I read the governments own eligibility thing last week but didn't see anything about mental health.  I note that one includes:

• you have long term problems walking or going to places - including problems caused by stress, anxiety or other mental health issues

Anyone can apply for a BB, you don't have to automatically qualify. Although as you don't autotmatically qualify, i'd say there's a very high chance that an assessment would be needed. Although all local councils have their own criteria outside of the standard nationwide criteria.
  • happyfella
    Ah ok, thanks for that.  I take it you either don't get PIP or didn't score enough on Mobility to be automatically eligible?

Hi, i get the maximum on both with pip, but my maximum on mobility is not the correct one to get a blue badge
  • OverlyAnxious

Hi, i get the maximum on both with pip, but my maximum on mobility is not the correct one to get a blue badge
    That's a shame.  :(   Do let us know how you get on if you're able to avoid the face to face at all.
  • OverlyAnxious

Anyone can apply for a BB, you don't have to automatically qualify. Although as you don't autotmatically qualify, i'd say there's a very high chance that an assessment would be needed. Although all local councils have their own criteria outside of the standard nationwide criteria.
    Yeah, I've looked into it a bit more now and don't think I'll apply.  I don't have any paperwork to prove it so would almost certainly have to have an assessment.  However, due to my other issues (agoraphobia, motion sickness etc) I wouldn't even be able to get to the assessment centre.  I know where it is as my Nan had her badge refused for the first time in about 20 years recently.  She has a birth defect that have caused permanent mobility issues for the last 80 years so none of us could understand why she was suddenly refused.  Only thing we can think is that's because she's never claimed any benefits she isn't automatically eligible since a system change perhaps.  She was immediately accepted again after having the assessment.  

Brightness