Are you “tight” with your money? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you “tight” with your money?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger

A discussion on another thread prompted me to ask this:

How tight are you with your money, and what examples of being tight do you have? I’d like to hear your funny stories...

I never buy anything that’s not absolutely essential unless it’s discounted. So I’ll pay full price for bread and milk but that’s about it. I always look at the reduced section for stuff that’s near its sell by date. 

I also used to have 1 set of batteries that I’d switch between the TV remotes depending on which remote I needed to use, rather than putting batteries in all of them. Before some clever clogs pipes up: yes I know this just meant wearing down the one set more quickly! :smiley:

All that said I don’t see being tight as a bad thing, it is just being good with your money. If I have to throw my money around recklessly to be considered “normal” I’d rather not be normal. ;)

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Theres nothing wrong with being careful with your money at all @66Mustang although the battery swopping did make me giggle.

I'm tight with kitchen roll for some reason, any that has only been lightly used , say as a knapkin, I'll keep in a bag for picking up doggy do in the garden to flush.

My son grabbed about half a role when he had a slight nose bleed...I was flabbergasted (I like that word)
    I told him I wouldnt have used that much if he'd chopped a leg off!

Some things,I'll only buy branded, like persil, fairy etc. others I'll get the cheapest...
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Mustang and  Cress   (Love that mix of names!)  Both of you are my soulmates and at last we have come into our own, with Climate Emergency meaning that those who waste anything and who indulge in pointless consumerism of any kind are  now know to be wrecking our precious planet. 

(I lived poor all my life, and any waste would simply not cross my mind.  I have been surprised at the idea of  buying 'wipes', or 'dusters',  for instance.  )
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    66Mustang said:

A discussion on another thread prompted me to ask this:

How tight are you with your money, and what examples of being tight do you have? I’d like to hear your funny stories...

I never buy anything that’s not absolutely essential unless it’s discounted. So I’ll pay full price for bread and milk but that’s about it. I always look at the reduced section for stuff that’s near its sell by date. 

I also used to have 1 set of batteries that I’d switch between the TV remotes depending on which remote I needed to use, rather than putting batteries in all of them. Before some clever clogs pipes up: yes I know this just meant wearing down the one set more quickly! :smiley:

All that said I don’t see being tight as a bad thing, it is just being good with your money. If I have to throw my money around recklessly to be considered “normal” I’d rather not be normal. ;)

This winds me up immensely, define "normal"?! You have 2 arms, 2 legs etc, you can speak coherently, therefore contrary to the inane dribble spouted by Daily Fail readers, you as a disabled person ARE normal.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not tight with money but have been in the past when it was tight 

However I do buy own brand items rather than branded and items on offer 

I do look for bargains and buy of selling sites and 2nd hand if appropriate 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Cress said:
    I'm tight with kitchen roll for some reason, any that has only been lightly used , say as a knapkin, I'll keep in a bag for picking up doggy do in the garden to flush.

You're not meant to flush kitchen roll, it doesn't break up like loo roll does so can block sewage pipes.  :#

I'm the opposite with kitchen roll, I get through tonnes of the stuff due to the OCD!  I just buy the cheapest Sainsburys one, 99p for a double size roll.  Also get through tonnes of loo roll due to IBS.  I'll have to start planting a forest at this rate!  :D
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
        I'm as miserable as they come when it comes to spending money, why waste money on something you don't need  :D If I need it I will buy it. A lot of people ( including my daughter-in-law ) spend for spending sake, I've never understood having a house full of stuff and things that you'll never use... I can honestly say I have everything I need. But.......when it comes to my grandchildren money is no object  :smirk:
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited January 2021
    I'm definitely tight!  I've recently started trying to 'treat myself' with the PIP backpay that I got 6 months ago.  I'm buying things to make life easier (vacuum, laptop etc) rather than random unnecessary stuff, but still feel really guilty and uncomfortable spending the money!  :|

I've only ever used free trials of Spotify and Amazon Prime.  Use OpenOffice rather than paying for MS Office.  Buy the cheapest printer ink I can (£4 posted the last 4 cartridges cost).  Don't put lights on unnecessarily and only put the washing machine and chargers on during cheap rate electric.  When buying any large items, I'll never pay full price, always using offers and discount codes and TopCashBack...  I'm also massively **** about the fuel economy on the car, keeping spreadsheets to see how it compares over the year and the average cost per mile etc.  I don't mind being tight at all, I'd even list 'bargain hunting' as one of my few hobbies!  :D

(Edit - 1000 posts, woo!)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    According to senior management I'm tight, according to me i'm just careful, and if i'm brutally honest I couldn't careless about saving the planet, most of its beyond redemption anyway.
    My one tip for saving money is use "hotukdeals" .
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I bought a mono laser printer for twenty five pounds years ago and I’ve never had to refill it. I was annoyed at having my Epsom printer ink drying up and paying out for new cartridges every time I wanted to just print one letter etc.

i also tend to buy jumpers and shirts from second hand shops to save money, but I do cherry pick as far as labels go. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    When I've been skint,  I've relied on family giving me stuff or buying second hand.
    But, when ive had stuff that is still in good condition and I'm just sick of the sight of it and want new ive always donated it to my local hospice.
    They make money, the person in need is able to buy for less and I dont suffer any pangs of guilt over getting rid of stuff that's perfectly fine.
    I never sell anything its always donated.
    I dont think people buying lots of stuff they dont necessarily need is bad if it can be donated or sold to someone else who cant afford new.
  • Cress
    Ps, sorry if I've blocked any drains!
    Better stop that...lol
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks a lot for all of the posts, it’s really interesting to read the replies. :smile:

I’m glad I’m not the only “careful” one here! ;)
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    @OverlyAnxious interesting about the car stuff. MPG is actually one of the few areas where I’m not tight - I’d rather get 30mpg and have fun than 40mpg and not have fun - if anything if I wasn’t having fun but was getting more MPG I’d consider that MORE of a waste, as I’m still using petrol but not enjoying it! That said I do the same as you regarding keeping a detailed log of miles and cost and working out total cost per mile for all of my cars. 

Congrats on 1000 posts!
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    @vikingqueen I know what you mean about having everything you need. I’m not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but I have every material thing I need. The benefit of being good with your money is that when something comes up that you DO need, the money is there to buy it! 

PS I don’t have grandchildren but know how you feel as I like treating family members and buy them things that I’d never entertain buying for myself haha!
  • 66Mustang
    @cress really good point. I tend to use stuff until it’s completely unusable so rarely donate but I can see the benefit of donating if you can afford to do so.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger

@66Mustang being good with money is the key, too many  spend today and don't worry about tomorrow, my parents were born in the 20's so were brought up through poverty and the war and my dad always drummed it into me the importance of paying important bills 1st and if there was anything left then you were lucky  :D  His wise words stood me in good stead and I'm lucky I don't have to worry about bills even though I don't have much.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I'm definitely tight!  I've recently started trying to 'treat myself' with the PIP backpay that I got 6 months ago.  I'm buying things to make life easier (vacuum, laptop etc) rather than random unnecessary stuff, but still feel really guilty and uncomfortable spending the money!  :|

I've only ever used free trials of Spotify and Amazon Prime.  Use OpenOffice rather than paying for MS Office.  Buy the cheapest printer ink I can (£4 posted the last 4 cartridges cost).  Don't put lights on unnecessarily and only put the washing machine and chargers on during cheap rate electric.  When buying any large items, I'll never pay full price, always using offers and discount codes and TopCashBack...  I'm also massively **** about the fuel economy on the car, keeping spreadsheets to see how it compares over the year and the average cost per mile etc.  I don't mind being tight at all, I'd even list 'bargain hunting' as one of my few hobbies!  :D

Could I get more information on Open Office and how it works?
  • OverlyAnxious
    MarkN88 said:

It's basically the same as MS Office but free.  Has its own version of Word and Excel plus a few others.  There are probably a few less functions on OpenOffice but I've never found it a restriction myself.

I think it only works on Windows PCs, not sure if it works on Apple or tablets etc.
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious interesting about the car stuff. MPG is actually one of the few areas where I’m not tight - I’d rather get 30mpg and have fun than 40mpg and not have fun - if anything if I wasn’t having fun but was getting more MPG I’d consider that MORE of a waste, as I’m still using petrol but not enjoying it! That said I do the same as you regarding keeping a detailed log of miles and cost and working out total cost per mile for all of my cars. 

Congrats on 1000 posts!
    Ah, well, that's the benefit of diesel...decent MPG no matter how hard you drive!  My 2.0 TDI didn't ever drop below 50mpg before Covid restrictions.  Ironically I'm now getting less mpg and not having any fun!

Will be interesting to see how the 1.0 MHEV compares...I'm hoping for at least 40mpg average but only time will tell!
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    MarkN88 said:

It's basically the same as MS Office but free.  Has its own version of Word and Excel plus a few others.  There are probably a few less functions on OpenOffice but I've never found it a restriction myself.

I think it only works on Windows PCs, not sure if it works on Apple or tablets etc.
    Thanks so much!

Brightness