Hello all....I have a Q regarding mobility car! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello all....I have a Q regarding mobility car!

Jona
Jona Community member Posts: 44 Connected
Hi....i received enhanced on both categories 2019 July...

The award was from July 2019 to March 2022...
But this morning...i received a letter explaining that they are extending my claim to the 31st Dec 2022..Due to covid etc...

What happens when the 3 yrs is up on the mobility car? they'll be a period of 6 months over the 3yrs lease...if im explaining this correctly!..

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

Even though it has been extended you can still be reviewed before this the extension is there in case your review hadn't been completed by original end date 

As for the mobility car I'm not too sure as you will still have an award but you usually need at least year left on your award 

Maybe as you already have a car they will let you lease another at the end of the term 

I suggest you contact motability to ask the question 
  • Jona
    Yes, i know PIP can review at any time.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    2022!?  Guess they don't have much faith in the vaccination programme then...

My award will also end in March 2022 so will be interesting to see if I also get the extension now.

As for the mobility car, you're right in that the lease will end after 3 years.  And you won't have another 12m left in order to start a new one.  There must be others in the same position but I haven't seen any information regarding this yet.  Contacting Motability to ask is probably the best option if possible. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A few months before your mobility lease is due to end, motability will contact you and if you have at least 1 year of your PIP award remaining you can order another car, ready for collection once your current lease has ended.

If you don't have at least a year remaining on your award then motability can extend the lease on your current car until a new decision's been made on your review.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jona

My award will also end in March 2022 so will be interesting to see if I also get the extension now.

As for the mobility car, you're right in that the lease will end after 3 years.  And you won't have another 12m left in order to start a new one.  There must be others in the same position but I haven't seen any information regarding this yet.  Contacting Motability to ask is probably the best option if possible. 
    It looks like i'll have to call them Monday morning.....Would it be PIP or Mobility i call?

• Jona
    edited January 2021
    Hi,

A few months before your mobility lease is due to end, motability will contact you and if you have at least 1 year of your PIP award remaining you can order another car, ready for collection once your current lease has ended.

If you don't have at least a year remaining on your award then motability can extend the lease on your current car until a new decision's been made on your review

Many thanks Poppy...thats good news!. I'll simply keep the same car and see what occurs on the reassessment...Im assuming i collate all my recent Drs appointments for the new possible award...Basically in a nutshell...my condition isnt get any better and is gradually worsening ,which PIP understand is the nature of the illnesses...so hopefully, they'll re award me....but i fully know thats no guarantee....and could reassess me again next week if they so choose!
  • Jona

ps.....you may well receive a similar letter.....My heart dropped when i saw the words assessment....but due to covid its extended.....but as ive repeated....I know this gift can be reassessed at anytime.....

Thats always a subconscious fear of mine....but i try not to dwell on that fact..

I have no assistance and no family so am totally reliant on any outside help i can receive ! 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jona and welcome to the community, I hope the above information has been helpful.

Remember that if you don't feel as though you are getting the help you need to manage your condition you should speak with your GP about this.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jona
    Hi @Jona and welcome to the community, I hope the above information has been helpful.

Remember that if you don't feel as though you are getting the help you need to manage your condition you should speak with your GP about this.
    Thank you.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Jona said:

ps.....you may well receive a similar letter.....My heart dropped when i saw the words assessment....but due to covid its extended.....but as ive repeated....I know this gift can be reassessed at anytime.....

Thats always a subconscious fear of mine....but i try not to dwell on that fact..

I have no assistance and no family so am totally reliant on any outside help i can receive ! 
    My heart always drops when I see those brown envelopes in the post box!  Hopefully I'll be a bit more prepared this time knowing it's likely to just be an extension from this thread.  :)

Yes, I too know they can reassess at any time, both PIP and ESA...but trying not to dwell on it for now.  I think most of us feel the same about that.

Also just regarding the earlier post, for anything to do with the mobility car you'd need to contact Motability directly, not PIP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    When you do receive the revew forms you need to treat it as a new claim. Fill out the forms with as much relevant information as possible, adding a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Future appointment letters are not classed as evidence. Anything else that's relevant should be sent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.