Are you “tight” with your money? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you “tight” with your money?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    If you're like me and have a very restricted OS, try Word Online, I use it all the time.. In between swearing at Chrome OS for its lack of features that I need such as gaming and the ability to use apps such as Unity, GIMP, and Steam via Linux.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I use chrome as my second choice OS as having a MacBook i use safari mostly, must admit I don't have any apps just never got into them even though many are free.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Great thread!  I think my other half wishes I was tighter with brass  :D

In some ways I am...  the sight of a yellow whoops stickers gets me excited, I refuse to buy anything online without a discount code and most own brand stuff will do me just fine.  But compared to some people I know, I'm a big roller!  For instance, has anyone seen people re-use teabags 2 and 3 times?  :D No names mentioned but I have and lets just say that wasn't tea I had, but hot milk! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Great thread!  I think my other half wishes I was tighter with brass  :D

In some ways I am...  the sight of a yellow whoops stickers gets me excited, I refuse to buy anything online without a discount code and most own brand stuff will do me just fine.  But compared to some people I know, I'm a big roller!  For instance, has anyone seen people re-use teabags 2 and 3 times?  :D No names mentioned but I have and lets just say that wasn't tea I had, but hot milk! 
    Been there done that....what's even worse is having to use powdered milk...little blobs of powder floating in the weak as water tea lol!
    Must admit it never occurs to me to look for discount codes...I'm flippin going to now!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There is a great trick when shopping in the big supermarkets take coffee as an example, so there you are looking at half an aisle of the stuff, at eye level will be the top and most expensive brands because the big brand names pay tesco etc to be placed at eye level, coming down will be the supermarkets own brands considerably cheaper than the likes of nescafe, look down again and you will see the supermarkets cheap brands.

Now if you usually buy everything thats pointed at your eye level and you do that with everything you buy simply by moving down to their own brands you will save around £10-£15 per week on a £100 shop thats upto £750 per year.

But the best trick is to spot when the "named" brands come down in price and are as cheap if not cheaper than the "own" brand.
    So the moral of this long story is to shop with your eyes.

Just think about it how often do you see ads for nescafe or the other well known brands? the answer is not very often because they spend the advertising budgets paying the big supermarkets to position their products where we will see them best and they spend £millions doing this every year.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm very fussy with a lot of things and my daughter that i live with is even worse than i am. I'll only buy branded things, although with things like washing tablets/liquid, i'll buy the branded of what ever is on offer, so anything from Ariel to bold and fairy sometimes, especially when my grandson was a small baby.

Furniture, well it always has to be the best of everything for me. If i want something i'll save for it until i have enough money for what i want. You pay for what you get and that's so true. I hate flat pack furniture more than anything and it has to be ready assembled and solid oak. Actually today i had my oakfurnitureland sideboard and tv cabinet delivered, i bought it in the black Friday sale and i'm very impressed by the superb quality. It looks stunning in my living room. Although it took me 2 months to decide which one to buy and where to buy it from lol.

Buying things for myself like clothes or shoes etc then i don't often buy things like this. I do like slippers from next and will usually manage to buy a pair in the sale but i'll put them in wardrobe until i'm desperate for them. Sometimes, i put a date in my head and think "yes, i'll wear them on such a such date lol, my daughters laugh at me.

There was a time where i could hardly afford to put food on the table to feed my children when they were small. Times were hard and i had no help from anyone and no family that i could turn to either. I value what i have and take pride in my home and it's contents.

It's interesting to read just how different we all are.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    As a young man I never had money to splash around .... my wage was £6 .1.10 a week ( i was an apprentice engineer for six years , working beside and doing the same work as journeymen , but they had ten times my wage . when my apprenticeship was up I had a chat with the manager who said I would get an extra £2 a week ,? I asked him for my apprenticeship papers ...I eventually got them ....I went to another factory as a qualified maintenance engineer , and my first weeks wage was £200 a week . It felt like we had won the lottery .....but after a few months I moved onto another factory and I got £250 a week. My wife and i felt like millionaires ....but the kids are not long in using the money up.
    Now my wife and u are retired and every penny counts as we do not know how much we will be on each month.. When the factories and pits and foundries closed in the 80,s ...it was hard when all the guys I worked with , I used to meet at the job centre every week . I spent the next number of years helping people in the village who could not manage their gardens etc. .....Some nice person reported me for my volunteer work . I got questioned about it but I had nothing to hide...but they made me keep track of the jobs and where and when and what I had done for the previous week . Yep, I have been skint with a young family ....and there has been times when I was better off . I must add that my wife worked wonders with what little we had .
    I like a bargain ....but if I want something , I will be prepared to pay for it . my son got a beautiful summer house built in his garden by a pal who built summer houses. ...half the price of what the other builders are charging ...so i will talk nice to my wife but I suppose I will need to get rid of one of my other sheds first .??
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine @poppy123456 yes I do similar to Poppy with branded products, often buy the branded stuff but whichever brand is on offer that week. Like you say Woodbine sometimes the branded product on offer is cheaper than the own brand!

That said if there are no offers I will go for the own brand. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ll admit I’ve never reused tea bags :o I must be a high roller or whatever the phrase is :D 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    For instance, has anyone seen people re-use teabags 2 and 3 times?  :D No names mentioned but I have and lets just say that wasn't tea I had, but hot milk! 
    I used to have an elderly neighbour that did this (born in 1904)...she pegged them on a small washing line in the conservatory to dry!  :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Great thread. 

I'm a Yorkshireman, so it's in my blood to be tight with money :) 

I always try to be cost effective where possible, it's good practice in my opinion.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I think it's a bit of a myth of Scots being tight , I have only met two men like that and without a doubt they must be the worst in the world at parting with money ....one fella will just not buy anything and the other fella will buy what he really needs but only if he gets a discount ..   He runs a business ....but don,t ask him for a discount ??
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    For instance, has anyone seen people re-use teabags 2 and 3 times?  :D No names mentioned but I have and lets just say that wasn't tea I had, but hot milk! 
    I used to have an elderly neighbour that did this (born in 1904)...she pegged them on a small washing line in the conservatory to dry!  :D

:D:D that was funny. Thanks for that laugh.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Great thread. 

I'm a Yorkshireman, so it's in my blood to be tight with money :) 

I always try to be cost effective where possible, it's good practice in my opinion.
    By the same token, I'm as Yorkshire as you can be and I'm almost always skint! Because I'm buying Lottery tickets from Tesco or digital games on Xbox.

Brightness