PIP Covid and Extended Claims — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Covid and Extended Claims

Options
TellMell
TellMell Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi i have just read an article online stating that 756,000 PIP claims have been extended due to coronavirus.

The person who i used to care for has had no such letter, the online report does state that only half have been informed.

Im just curious is there a critera for whome will reeive extended claims.

My friend unfortunatly is at the end of his current clain which ends march , and he has just sent back all his evidence and paperwork with help from his brother.

But still i am curious if he is likley to be informed his claim has been extended during this process, as highly unlikley as this is. i still have alot of questions regarding whome is accepted for the extension and who is not and what critera has decided these cases.

if anybody has any relevant knowledge , please do let us know. thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Pip has been extended for those who were awarded through DWP not at tribunal and their award is coming to an end . If the review hasn't been able to be completed before the end of current award 

As paperwork gas been recieved in this case then the review is going ahead so there may be no need to extend 

They have a massive backlog of reviews and claims to get through and it depends on each area 
  • TellMell
    TellMell Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    ok, thank you.
  • kes2611
    kes2611 Community member Posts: 124 Courageous
    Options
    My pip was extended till may cause of covid. I also get ESA n today i got a letter sayin that from may my esa wld change n my money going down.The money i am loseing is the extra i get cause i am on pip.Does anybody think my pip has been stopped n i have lost the award? It just seems strange that it not stopped straight away n ihave heard nothing from pip. Am liseing alot of money. 
    Was just thinking have esa done that cause it only end date they have. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kes2611

I could only guess that is the reason why it is changing but the best way is to contact them and ask why if it doesn't explain in the letter 

I doubt you PIP will just have been stopped unless you have had a review and a new decision has been made unless you were awarded at tribunal un which case it wouldn't have been extended anyway 
  • kes2611
    Options
    My pip finished in nov but was extended till may.I filled all the forms out n sent bck recorded delivery.I rang them n they got them.Have heard nothing bout pip but it just seems strange if it beennstopped then why carry on till may.Even if award was extended till may surely if i was not awarded it,payments wld not continue to may
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, it's very likely because your PIP award was due to end at that time but it's been extended. The computer will have automatically generated the letter because it doesn't know your award has been extended. I receive the SDP and my PIP award was due to end in October 2020 and in my ESA payment after this i was short by the SDP amount because of the PIP award was supposed to end (it was extended)

I simply phone call to DWP sorted out the problem and i received the money later that day.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kes2611
    Options
    The lettter states that i am still getting same amount of money up till may.In may is when it changes n that is when award was extended 2. I also had another letter ages ago sayin pip was extended till august but lady at pip said it wld not take that long
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's very likely to do with the dates of your PIP award ending. Give ESA a ring on Monday. Are you waiting for a decision on your PIP review? or still waiting for the forms?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kes2611
    Options
    Am waiting on a decision for my pip renewal. 
  • kes2611
    Options
    Do u think they have denied my pip renewal?
  • kes2611
    Options
    The computer must know my pip has been extended cause my esa payments change in may n that is when it was extended 2. X
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kes2611 said:
    Do u think they have denied my pip renewal?

Have you had an assessment for the PIP, if you haven't then it's unlikely you've been refused. If you had been refused PIP now and you're claiming the SDP in with your ESA payments then the SDP would end now, not in May.

As advised, you'll need to ring them because we can only guess the reason why.
  • kes2611
    Options
    Have been on pip for years but not had an assesment for the latest one that ended in nov. what is SDP
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kes2611 said:
    Have been on pip for years but not had an assesment for the latest one that ended in nov. what is SDP

You said you had a letter saying your ESA was being reduced in May, from this i would assume that you are claiming SDp because you live alone. For this you need a daily living award of PIP.

As advised, it's very unlikely that a decision's been made on your PIP because you haven't had your assessment yet. The letter you received is likely because your PIP is due to end in May. Please ring DWP on Monday and they will be able to tell you when your ESA is being reduced in May.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.