Joanna Lumley shocked at claims disabled workers are unpaid! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joanna Lumley shocked at claims disabled workers are unpaid!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55664266?fbclid=IwAR0Anemx6_Unk8HeBrog2RATO_CuvbFsbrlsQouBMIGlYh8Z90SejaYLMYY

I just saw this link on my Facebook news feed and had to post it on here! What the actual?! Surely this is ILLEGAL under the 2010 Equality Act?!

Thoughts? 

Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It appears a complicated story, involving the "company" going into administration, the furlough scheme and the pension scheme, but you have to laugh when Iain Duncan Smith shows any kind of sympathy for disabled people when he drove a horse and cart through the welfare state.
    Now that clarity has a new owner we can only hope the problems will be sorted out, people will be paid and all will be well again.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    Can anyone NOT on my ignore list please comment?

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976, thanks for sharing this. 

Anybody, whether they be on your ignore list or not, is well within their right to comment on any thread they wish to. I would welcome the thoughts of @woodbine on this as he makes a very valid point about Ian Duncan Smith's contribution to this story, I imagine there will be a lot of head shaking from disabled people when they see him getting involved here.

About the story, yeah it's awful to read, and I can only hope the company in question will not allow this to happen again now that there is a new owner. I do wonder if Scope will be commenting on this.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    @Ross_Scope I thought it worth commenting on even thought I knew I might get some stick for doing so, its a subject worth discussing.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope I did see that myself alot of confusion and upset and anger hopefuly it will be put right 

A few years back two main large stores brought their stock from a company that was paying disabled people 2.00 pound an hour and another store was buying stock where child labour was happening 

Unfortunately these things go on but hopefuly more company's will be caught out 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Unfortunately these things go on but hopefuly more company's will be caught out 

I hope so, yes
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
    IMO IDS is one of the many from ATOS/DWP who has blood on their hands, the innocent blood of people who have been sent for, declared "fit to work" when they clearly aren't, and then the ATOS Clowns sanction the **** out of these people and they go on to (Removed by moderator, inappropriate language)

By the same token, in December 2015, at the behest of my Parents, they declared me unfit to work (don't start) even though at the time I'd been doing voluntary work for about 20 years! Pardon? If I can work for free for all those years, surely I COULD work for money in SOME capacity?! Suffice to say, on the day of the meeting, we came out of it and I went bananas right in the middle of Town!

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    In my voluntary advocacy work I have represented many disabled people in  employment tribunals mostly unfair dismissal  but what that company has done is alot worse in one way not paying the disabled work force  
  • woodbine
    I think if i'm honest that people need to access the link and read the whole story its not as simple as employer doesn't pay disabled workers.
    As far as IDS goes yes he was responsible for ripping the heart and soul out of the welfare state but when his party wanted to go even further he did have the guts to walk away, so credit where it's due.

Brightness