New year's resolution — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New year's resolution

Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
Hi, have any of you made any for the new years and sticking to it? Or have you already given in?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

I don’t really make new year’s resolutions but I did aim to eat less extra food like snacks and food between meals. Also to drink less alcohol. I’m still keeping up with both of those. I’m also working on my issues with professionals which was my other goal.

What about you?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I've decided this year to not make an actual resolution but to set myself goals in certain areas of my life, so I split them up into different areas, for example health/fitness, career/professional development and money/finances. I've made them things i can do all year long and track my progress. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    MarkN88 said:
    I've decided this year to not make an actual resolution but to set myself goals in certain areas of my life, so I split them up into different areas, for example health/fitness, career/professional development and money/finances. I've made them things i can do all year long and track my progress. 
    Very wise, let us know how you get on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Same as I've had for the last several years, in fact it'll be 29 years at the end of April since I left school and I've had the resolution to get a job ever since.

I've had plenty of voluntary jobs since then, now I wanna work and get paid for it, I haven't worked in almost every Charity shop this side of Sheffield and not gained customer service experience or done admin for local Charities and not gained IT and admin experience.

• Sandy_123
    It's a good idea to use goals. @MarkN88 hope you achieve them.
    @66Mustang every thing in moderation as the saying goes easier said then done, good luck.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t really make New Years resolutions but generally speaking I find it best to make small changes which are realistic rather than large changes. For example, it’s easy enough to find a spare fifteen minutes or half an hour a day for exercise rather than to try to commit to an hour. Smaller goals can be achieved more readily and regimes requiring minimal time adhered to more easily over the long term. 

Personally id rather do less regularly than more and suffer that sinking feeling of failing to keep a resolution. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    @MrAllen1976 hi there, wish you luck in finding a job, it's a difficult time with lock downs and closures. Lots of places do work shops to help you by helping with cvs and applications and mock interviews. Might be worth a try. 
  • Sandy_123
    @leeCal yeah I agree, I find house work keeps me going that with a lot of coffee stops inbetween.
  • [Deleted User]
    Sandy_123 said:
    @MrAllen1976 hi there, wish you luck in finding a job, it's a difficult time with lock downs and closures. Lots of places do work shops to help you by helping with cvs and applications and mock interviews. Might be worth a try. 
    Thanks, I've had a lot of that over the years, big problem though in interviews is explaining big gaps in my employment history, I know I've either been at College or doing other stuff but the employers always want to know, it also doesn't help that I've only ever done volunteer work because Charity shops and that are the only places that will take on disabled people, most Charities are so desperate for staff they'll take on almost anyone with a pulse that can pass DBS checks.

• Sandy_123
    @MrAllen1976 I know it's hard, mention a disability and it's we will ring you. Just remember if some one turns you down it's more there loss. Try agency's there good to get a foot in the door .
  • [Deleted User]
    Sandy_123 said:
    @MrAllen1976 I know it's hard, mention a disability and it's we will ring you. Just remember if some one turns you down it's more there loss. Try agency's there good to get a foot in the door .
    And what's worse is that outright discrimination is meant to be illegal under the 2010 Equality Act and its older brother the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, but as you've probably read on here before, I've been saying for years that both those acts aren't worth a tap because the government don't enforce them.

Like in 1998 I applied to Game in Town, and they actually told me "We're not insured to have disabled people on the premises", pardon? Surely even 23 years ago this was highly illegal under the DDA?!

• Sandy_123
    @MrAllen1976 yes I've seen it, very difficult to act on it, I hope you reported them tho. Its same as my job center I have to ask for ground floor as they have no disabled access to 2nd or 3rd floor and that's a government building. They don't like doing it but tough. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Sandy_123 said:
    @MrAllen1976 yes I've seen it, very difficult to act on it, I hope you reported them tho. Its same as my job center I have to ask for ground floor as they have no disabled access to 2nd or 3rd floor and that's a government building. They don't like doing it but tough. 
    Oh don't get me started on the sheer incompetence of Job Centre Plus!

• Sandy_123

Brightness