I have my telephone assessment tomorrow (Epilepsy and Depression) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have my telephone assessment tomorrow (Epilepsy and Depression)

Options
BrokenBrain
BrokenBrain Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I am feeling very nervous for my PIP telephone consultation tomorrow. I don't know why, I think it's because of all the bad press that it's got with Epilepsy. 
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any insight to help me with this or prepare for the call? 

I have different seizures that alter awareness, tonic clonic, absence seizures with no warning. My postictal state is somewhat erratic too and I am not able to cook for myself. Only because I've nearly smoked the house out with a microwave (genuine smoke damage) and last week I was inches away from planting into boiling water.. so we've stopped with the prep too for now. 

Can anyone help with what might be good to have prepared for the call? I've sent some evidence in from Neurology, Neuropsychiatry.. 
I am also concerned about how little they might take into consideration the recovery as I can barely walk after a tonic clonic seizure. 

All advice is greatly appreciated. 
Broken Brain :smile:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Prepare by having a copy of your form with you and reading through it b4 the call 

Have ready examples like you gave above about what happens when you tried to do a task and the after effects what does it affect how long to recover and what this prevents you doing 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi @BrokenBrain

I just had my telephone assessment 10 minutes ago and like you I'd gotten myself all wound up about it too. Was still awake at 4am this morning thinking about it so not feeling particularly energetic right now.

The lady I spoke to was very helpful and was happy to wait when I needed to pause.

Don't worry I know you hear a lot of bad experiences on here but thats because most people who have a good one don't really post about it.

All you can do is answer the questions honestly and clearly and make sure you get across any points you need to so you know they have the information

Honestly its not as bad as you think it will be

Good luck for tomorrow!

(edited for my typically bad typing)
  • BrokenBrain
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome 

Prepare by having a copy of your form with you and reading through it b4 the call 

Have ready examples like you gave above about what happens when you tried to do a task and the after effects what does it affect how long to recover and what this prevents you doing 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
    Thank you. That's a good idea, I will keep you updated!
  • BrokenBrain
    Options
    BrettW said:
    Hi @BrokenBrain

I just had my telephone assessment 10 minutes ago and like you I'd gotten myself all wound up about it too. Was still awake at 4am this morning thinking about it so not feeling particularly energetic right now.

The lady I spoke to was very helpful and was happy to wait when I needed to pause.

Don't worry I know you hear a lot of bad experiences on here but thats because most people who have a good one don't really post about it.

All you can do is answer the questions honestly and clearly and make sure you get across any points you need to so you know they have the information

Honestly its not as bad as you think it will be

Good luck for tomorrow!

(edited for my typically bad typing)
    Hi @BrettW
    Wow. I'm so glad that you've had a good experience. 
    That is true, you are more likely to hear bad experience. You have put me at ease though. 

Thank you. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.