Covid support on old style esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Covid support on old style esa

Options
nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding extra payments for covid support on old style esa. I'm aware that people on universal credit with esa component recieve extra help but what about those on legacy benefits?? I'm really struggling as billl's are higher, motability is still charging full amount of pip mobility support even though I cant use car as shielding. I just cant understand why this has been completely neglected or am I just not aware of the right info?? 
Many thankks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Unfortunately, there's no extra money for those claiming the old legacy benefits like ESA. I know motability gave £50 to all customers last year because of Covid but payments can't be reduced because we still have the vehicle, even though it's not used as much.

I also claim ESA and have a mobility car. I must admit during the first lockdown and this lockdown i've saved money because there's no shops open to spend it. Energy bills are of course higher now because it's winter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nikkif
    Options
    Thanks poppy. It just seems a bit unfair as its he same benefit but just not been updated. Thanks for your help though in clarifying. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I would rather they gave an increase to the underpaid workers out there who have been on the front line keeping the country going 

I am on benefits myself but would gladly contribute any extra as I dont see why those not working need extra money because of the pandemic 

This may be a very unpopular opinion but it is just mine 
  • nikkif
    Options
    I understand your point, the frontlines are extremely underpaid and deserve a rise as their pressures are immense my point was more that whole some people have been given extra help in these times how others have been discriminated against because of the type of benefit they are on. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The extra money was intended for those who had a drop in income because of Covid because it was also added to working tax credits. Although for UC there wasn't time to go through every single claim to pay it to those who lost income because of Covid. There was no other option to add it to everyone's claim that claimed UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.