PIP extended — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP extended

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My PIP was due to last until August 2022, so I was expecting a review in February 2022 (6 months before)

I just got a letter stating that my award has been extended to May 2023. Does this mean I should now expect a review in November 2022, 6 months before it is due to end, or will my review date stay the same i.e. February?

Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Unfortunately no, it doesn't mean this. It means its been extended because the backlogs are huge and it's allowing extra time for a decision to made on your review, when the time comes. My advice it to expect the review form as normal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    Thanks - so still expect it around February?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. Yes. I'm not really sure exactly why they are extending people's awards when they don't end for at least another year. I can only imagine the size of the backlogs must be huge.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Oddly enough I got a letter extending mine until March 2023 today.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Thank you, yes it puzzled me as well.

TBH it actually works out just as well if I don’t get an extension because, providing I get awarded the same again, I can get a new Motability car once the 3 year lease ends. With the extension, my car lease would come to an end when I have less than a year of award remaining, so I’d have to wait before I could get another one. There are pluses and minuses to however it works out I guess.

Anyway thanks again :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    There's an interesting point with these backlogs...  How will they ever catch up?  Just for a simple example, imagine a 6 month delay - doing February's in August, March's in September etc...that then means they'll have to August and Septembers 6 months later as well.  Unless they draft in double the amount of assessors/decision makers, the backlog won't ever end.  :|

• kes2611
    kes2611 Community member Posts: 124 Courageous
    My pip was up in nov but was extended to may n then to august 21. I got the forms in oct n sent them bck n am waiting on a date for a telephone assesment.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @66Mustang . How strange I got one too. They must be doing massive mail shots. Mine is not due to end until 2023 either. I can see why people get that sinking feeling when that brown envelope drops through the letterbox. 

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    They might be sending out all these forms as a way to help manage the backlog. I suppose if they collate more of the info in advance it will help them speed up the process further down the line
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I was told mine was extended for about eighteen months and then received a review form within two months. That’s was early December and I think I will hear something soon, probably about a telephone assessment.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

Thanks for starting the conversation @66Mustang, it seems like lots of members are receiving extensions this week. It's interesting to read the positives and negatives you're facing with having your award extended, I must admit I hadn't thought of potential negatives.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • kes2611
    kes2611 Community member Posts: 124 Courageous
    Mine was extended to may n then august. Just waiting on phone assesment. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang hi I just wanted to ask regards motobility if you have an extension will thst affect wether you can have another car if your at the end of your agreement  or will that agreement end and you have a gap before you can have a new car 

As you know I am not on motablity  but I do get asked the question 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    that's ok @lisathomas50 poppy will be along to help you out,  oops no she won't as she's left.
    Here we go googles now our new best friend !
    https://www.motability.co.uk/c/ppc/everyday-freedom/?gclid=CjwKCAiAo5qABhBdEiwAOtGmblQStXBJ0kpTzOH4nim-Tv78BOrwy5N-dZr4jPTMv0WJJDxDKQ-GpBoCav4QAvD_BwE
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Seems like I've joined this 'not so exclusive club' too. I'm exactly the same as you @66Mustang ...awarded until August 2022, & got an extension to May 2023 in the post a couple of days ago. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.