Disability discrimination tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability discrimination tribunal

debbielkl
debbielkl Community member Posts: 36 Listener
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
Hi, I’m due to fill out my ET1 in the next few days, can I just confirm at this stage it’s just filling the form. I don’t need to include all the evidence I have?
has anyone used a solicitor to help them fill out the form? I know it’s straight forward just don’t want to get this wrong. 

Also can I make a claim for hurt feelings if I still work for the company (I’m currently off sick with stress) I can’t see how I can go back tbh and will probably leave next month to find alternative employment. They’ve made it impossible.

Thanks for you help :)
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You just need to fill out the form at this stage. For any other advice then i'd advise speaking to ACAS. https://www.acas.org.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I suggest you contact acas friend some advice they also have website with lots of info on 

it may be worth speaking to a solicitor for advice they do give 30 mins free advice 

I would fill out the et form and if they need evidence they will ask for it unless in the instructions they ask for evidence 

also look on internet for help on filling in the form 

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @debbielkl

Good luck with your tribunal.  These processes can be tough going, so please let us know if you need any emotional support.

In addition to the advice you have already received, I'd recommend visiting/contacting:
    Please let us know how you get on, and fire away with any other questions.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • debbielkl
    Thanks all. I paid for an hour with a solicitor and have what I need to fill the ET1. 
    Work are requesting monthly formal welfare meetings. (They then try and use my answers against me)
    I’ve advised I’m too stressed at the minute. So they said ok a call then a call in Feb and then another welfare end of Feb. Is this excessive? I’m signed off for 6 weeks. Nobody on long term sick is getting this many meetings with them.... 
    the solicitor said as I’ve told them this can be harressment.... does any Agee?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi agree it could be classed as harassment as you are on the sick an employer diesnt need to resly speak to you  this can be brought up in your tribunal  and yes you can can claim for hurt feelings in a tribunal 

Goid luck with your tribunal 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

Most employers have welfare meetings with those off long term sick .

I used to as a HR manager to keep in touch and support employees and see any progress so in my opinion it may not be classed as harassment 

You need to check out the company policy on long term absence and see if this is part of their process if it is then they are only following their policy 

I also advise you look on ACAS website as they do advise regular contact in these situations  
  • debbielkl
    There policy’s states a catch up, which I told them I’m fine with. They want my manager and another taking notes and a formal welfare monthly. I agree I’m unsure on this. 
  • janer1967
    That is nothing out of the ordinary and nothing you should worry about 

However I would take someone in with you if they say it is formal meeting you can take in a work colleague or union rep 

How long have you been off sick and how long have you been signed off for 
  • Lisatho11987777
    You should follow the advice your solicitor gave you as 6 weeks isnt along time realy 
  • debbielkl
    We have no union rep, and 50% of our team are off sick due to stress. I’ve been off 4months and another 6weeks again now, this is because they have removed my reasonable adjustments and changed my job. 

• debbielkl
    I have been told to add in the form, in 9 years I haven’t had a day off, despite being diagnosed with a disease and becoming disabled. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Ok sorry thought it was only six weeks speak to accas you need help andxsupport with this if you havecyo go to meetings but if you don't feel well enough though let them know you cant attend 

Thats alot of people off sick but I think uou should get in touch with accas did your solicitor give you good advice 
  • debbielkl
    Thanks, it was more how to fill out the form. It’s sooo difficult. But I’ll give it a try. I even tried conciliation but they won’t deal with Acas. ( it’s a huge company they don’t like people to know - brand damage) .
    thank you 
  • janer1967
    It is a good idea to include that on the form 

Try and keep the tribunal issue and this welfare meetings separate tho you can mention it if you think they are doing this to discriminate 

However in my opinion being off for that amount of time I would expect welfare meetings to take place 

Are you getting company sick pay ? As often if you are it us reasonable for them to expect regular contact 

One of my ex employers had in their sick pay policy that they could withhold sick pay if regular contact was not maintained 
  • Lisatho11987777
    The form is hard to fill in but make sure you put in as much information  in as you can   you can phone citizen advice to talk you through the form  

Sorry your having to go through this during a pandemic 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi agree it could be classed as harassment as you are on the sick an employer diesnt need to resly speak to you  this can be brought up in your tribunal  and yes you can can claim for hurt feelings in a tribunal 

Goid luck with your tribunal 
    @lisathomas50 It's my understanding that regular phone calls won't be classed as harassment.  During periods when I've had long term sick, it's been routine to have regular chats with my employer.  Indeed on this ACAS 'Keeping in touch during absence webpage, it states:
    It’s important that both the employer and employee stay in regular contact during absence, especially if it's long term.
    They should agree:
    • how often the contact should be
    • if the contact is to be by email, phone or face-to-face meetings
    • who the employee is to be in contact with – this might be their line manager, another manager or an HR manager
    Keeping in contact is a good chance to:
    • check on the wellbeing of the employee 
    • see if the employee needs any support
    • talk about any relevant updates or changes happening at work
    Where an employee’s absence is due to a mental health condition, it’s particularly important to consider whether less or more frequent contact is most appropriate.
    Please be careful to not present opinions as facts and back up statements with evidence where possible :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope its what her solicitor told her that I only agreed becsuse I thought it was only six weeks I then said  that she needed to speak to accas about the longer term 

Then said she just wanted to get help with the form so I advised her to phone cab who could talk her through it at the moment with accas you phe leave a message and  then someone calls you back 

Everything is slot harder in the pandemic   especially a work tribunal 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I had a similar experience nearly 4 years ago when I worked in a local PDSA Charity shop, I've probably mentioned it before, that old guy called me a "deaf C word" thinking I didn't hear him and I did... By rights I should've called the Bizzies on him for committing a "hate crime" against a disabled person, but Dad said not to make a thing of it and make an atmosphere at work.

Like I said, I'd have been within my rights to take the PDSA straight to the cleaners under the 2010 Equality Act for discrimination, but I just left.

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @debbielkl @janer1967 has a background in HR and is usually spot on with her advice. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @debbielkl does your employer know your takeing him to tribunal 

Brightness