Lcwra — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lcwra

Krisseyfer71
Krisseyfer71 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I was awarded lcwra yesterday, my claim started 8th August, my fit note dated 8th August but handed in on 20th Aug, would I get any back pay at all also claim carers element, can you tell me when I should see any payments please, thankyou 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome congratulation on the award

you need 3 full assessment periods covered by med certs and then payment commences from the 4th period 

It all depends on your assessment period dates 

If you give us assessment dates we can work it out but it may work out that the first month you will be entitled is dec -jan 

It can take a few weeks for payments to commence and longer for back pay 

• Krisseyfer71
    edited January 2021
    I claimed uc on the 8th Aug fit note from that date, my assessment dates are 2nd to the 1st of each month would I be owed anything and would the carers element be deducted from the back pay (if any) too, thankyou 
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I am no expert but this us what I think 

Sept 2nd -oct 1st month 1 waiting period 
    Oct 2nd -nov 1st month 2 waiting period 

Nov 2nd to dec 1st 3rd month waiting period 

Dec 2nd - jan 1st first payment 

So you may get this payment as back pay 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Krisseyfer71
    Did you report your fit note on the 8th when you claimed for UC?

Could you also confirm your assessment period dates? If you claimed on the 8th they should be from the 8th-7th but you've also said they are from the 2nd - 1st? Is the 8th your payment date?

Edit: Sorry @janer1967, I didn't spot you'd already replied with the dates!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Krisseyfer71
    Yes the 8th is my payment date I sent in the sick note on 20th August but was dated from the 8th,
  • Krisseyfer71
    Asesemnt dates are from the 2nd till 3rd I alo get carers element would that also be taken into account thankyou 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited January 2021
    Hi @Krisseyfer71. So with UC you can't receive both the carer element and LCWRA, as LCWRA is higher this is what they'll pay you from now on. 

If you assessment periods are 2nd-1st this is how the backdating would be worked out as @janer1967 has described above.

2nd August to 1st September - Fit note reported, but doesn't count as it wasn't for the full month. 
    2nd September to 1st October - 1 month
    2nd October to 1st November - 2 month
    2nd November to 1st December - 3 month
    2nd December to 1st January - First payment of LCWRA due on 8th January.

However, as you're currently receiving the carer element you'll only be owed the difference between the two amounts which is £178.28 (LCWRA is £341.20 and the carer element is £162.92). 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Krisseyfer71
    Thankyou for the calculation, would my carers still be deducted , as I thought there was a work element added with lcwra, does the earnings from carers included in the work allowance, thankyou 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Krisseyfer71. Unfortunately the work allowance doesn't include deductions for Carer's Allowance. It's classed as an overlapping benefit rather than earnings so it'll continue to be deducted.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Krisseyfer71
    My daughter works 16 hours a week, would she be able to claim carers or the element please, could she take over my role of carers for my other daughter  which I currently claim, thankyou for any advice 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Krisseyfer71. Does your daughter claim UC currently? If she does and is caring for someone for 35 hours a week and no one else claims CA or CE for them, then yes she can add the carer element to her UC. There are no working hours or income restrictions on this. 
    For Carer's Allowance she would need to be earning less than £128 a week after tax, NI and any expenses. You can see the full eligibility criteria for this here: https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ccc7
    ccc7 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi i made my first claim for Uc may 2020 , and was told to apply for LCW in sept-oct . They sent the letter to the wron address for my assessment and I missed it. We rang up and they said they will send me another appt I been waiting nearly 4months will I be backdated? 

2: prior to me making the claim in may 2020 I was in receipt of the lcw element but I then ended up going to prison for 1yr and four months hence having to start new claim may 2020 will they take the fact I received it before into consideration.  And how much longer should I wait before contacting them about my assessment again
  • janer1967
    Hi @ccc7

It can take a long time to get an assessment your claim will be backdated to when you declared your medical condition but there is a 3 month waiting period b4 

To get any additional payment you need to be awarded LCWRA and not just lcw and if awarded payment will be backdated to 4 months after you started the claim 

They will not really take previous award into account but will have you records on file 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    2nd August to 1st September - Fit note reported, but doesn't count as it wasn't for the full month. 
    2nd September to 1st October - 1 month
    2nd October to 1st November - 2 month
    2nd November to 1st December - 3 month
    2nd December to 1st January - First payment of LCWRA due on 8th January.

As I read it. Claimed on 2nd August with decaration of health condition which can be self certified for 7 days. Fit Note provided from 8th August. Therefore
    2nd August to 1st September - month 1
    2nd September to 1st October - month 2
    2nd October to 1st November - month 3
    2nd November to 1st December - LCWRA element included  with calculation of payment due on on 8th December.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adrian_Scope
    calcotti said:
    As I read it. Claimed on 2nd August with decaration of health condition which can be self certified for 7 days. Fit Note provided from 8th August. Therefore
    2nd August to 1st September - month 1
    2nd September to 1st October - month 2
    2nd October to 1st November - month 3
    2nd November to 1st December - LCWRA element included  with calculation of payment due on on 8th December.
    Thanks @calcotti. I missed that the fit note was backdated to the 8th and took it from the 20th when they received it from GP meaning a gap between self-cert and fit note. Hopefully @Krisseyfer71 has now received their payment and any backdating.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    It is possible that because FIt Note was not reported/ handed in until 20th that DWP will treat this as late and ignore that it covers the period back to 8th August in which case your original analysis would be correct.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.