Did you watch President Biden's inauguration? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Did you watch President Biden's inauguration?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
Has anyone watched the inauguration? If so, what did you think?  I caught some of it during my break and enjoyed the pomp and ceremony of it all.  I also thought Amanda Gorman's poem was beautifully written and exceptionally delivered too.

We recently discussed our hopes for Joe Biden's presidency and I wondered if you welcomed today's transition of power?  Let me know  :)
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope only time will tell they say alot of what Biden is going to do just have to see if he does it 

Also depends on the support of the American people what ever happens will be hard in the middle of a pandemic and everything else is going on 

All the build up is great nice to watch the ceremony and everything have to see 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I welcome the transition, President Biden seems to be a strong statesman and I’m sure he will build on the backs of the giants who preceded him. Here’s to a new voice in world politics and a calm steady hand on democracy.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    The Jury's still out on whether he'll make a good President, but IMO almost anybody would be better than Trump ever was.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    the good news is that Biden has already made a start on rolling back the bad decisions of the trump years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I watched parts of it.  Seemed a bit weird that everything was being cleaned down between the speakers, but that people were getting very close and even shaking hands outside of that area.  They were all wearing masks but even so.   :#

As for his presidency, I just don't see that he can make as much of an impact as Obama or Trump did (in opposite directions!) but he does seem to be making a decent start at least...
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
         To see Kamala Harris sworn in was history in the making, just goes to prove you can do anything you want in life if you try hard enough.. go girl  :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    @vikingqueeni totally agree it was amazing to see 
  • Denise11
    Denise11 Community member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    The new President looks to be a nice, decent man and I wish him well.  But, the House of Representatives are elected every two years and at the moment they are mostly again Biden's administration meaning that they can block anything that Biden tries to do, hence it will take another two years if then for the President to start making really changes if the because if the new house doesn't support Biden he's stuck.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I watched the whole thing from 3.30pm to 10pm with my wife, who is American on the CNN news channel.
    It was moving and historic and I enjoyed it. I loved the poem the young women gave and think Biden will make a good president. Honestly he or for the matter no one can be as bad as Trump. It was a pity there were no crowds there like there usually is.   
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I also watched it all afternoon and into the night on CNN @Dragonslayer. I thought the poem Amanda Gorman recited was fantastic. Here is the link for anyone who missed it
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Yep , I enjoyed watching the inauguration on TV.  
    I also saw Donald Trump telling his supporters that " Don,t worry , I will be back in one form or another" ....sounded a wee bit like a threat to me. 
    I hope Joe Biden does a good job ??
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Seanchai said
    Don,t worry , I will be back in one form or another" ....sounded a wee bit like a threat to me. 
    Unless he meant it in a Buddhist way! ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @Seanchai I  hope not america wouldn't vote him back in would they ??????
  • Seanchai
    Yep @leeCal .....maybe he is gonna come back ...I hope not ...but knowing Mr Trump , anything is possible ???
    I,m not so sure @Lisathomas50 ....anything is possible with that man , you saw his supporters and we know what they are capable of .  I,m just glad Mr Trump has not got his finger on the " button" now ?
  • Seanchai
    I thought Amanda Gorman did really well ....imagine millions of people around the globe watching you ....her words were lovely . I never realised she had a speech impediment. ...well done Amanda?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Seanchai said:
    Yep , I enjoyed watching the inauguration on TV.  
    I also saw Donald Trump telling his supporters that " Don,t worry , I will be back in one form or another" ....sounded a wee bit like a threat to me. 
    I hope Joe Biden does a good job ??
    Trumpet's been impeached, twice! He's literally got NO chance of ever even getting elected as a Milk monitor in an Elementary school.

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
             :D  that's brilliant @MrAllen1976 it made me laugh
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger

I don’t usually post political stuff but as it’s an excuse to talk about watches, I am wondering what people think about Joe Biden wearing a Rolex while being sworn in. It caused quite a stir!

My opinion, for what it’s worth (nothing), is that it’s just a watch and doesn’t mean anything. Also, if he has worked hard and earned money, he can spend that money on whatever he likes. However, I can see the other side of the argument - i.e. that he is supposed to be on the Left yet is wearing a symbol of wealth and elitism.

I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

• Lisatho11987777
    @66Mustang to start with your opinion is worth everything so don't think its worth nothing  I love hearing what you have to say 

Regarding bidens  watch you are right it is up to him  but I also know people on benefits who wear a rolex  watch  a watch is a watch to me 

Regarding what people think he probably doesn't care but people may get upset  but if he does what he says he is going to do then I think it will be ok the same as the government  here in the UK they get paid thousands  but whatever people say he has fone the best he can and I think thsts all anyone can ask 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50

That is true - all politicians are highly paid, as an example even Labour members who are supposed to be looking after the working classes, so I guess having money is just part of the job! I think you are right that if he sorts things out people will not care what he wears.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

Brightness