UK stock of Xbox Series X console? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UK stock of Xbox Series X console?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
Above.

I'm looking for an Xbox Series X console, because last year when they did the preorders, I made the mistake of preordering the cheaper Series S, it's good but it has about half the hard drive space so I had to buy a 4 Terabyte external as I have a lot of games, and the majority of my games are on disc.

Apparently Game and PC World had stock circa the middle of last week but by the time I got the notification on Facebook they were sold out again.

I know not to use scalpers on eBay who are selling them for stupid prices.

Apparently Argos are due stock in February but if I could get one sooner, all the better.

Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    With watches when there’s one that’s in limited supply it’s all about the relationship you have with your dealer. If they like you they will suddenly have one “in the back” that they can sell to you.

That doesn’t necessarily mean spending lots of money, it can just be if you have visited the store a couple of times, shown an interest/enthusiasm and they get to like you.

I don’t know if it works the same for a higher volume product like a games console but maybe you could find a couple of gaming stores, maybe smaller independent stores would work better, and try to get your face known by the employees or owners. Then maybe you will get a call that they have one in for you.

Edit: all that said maybe that’s a bit hard in the current pandemic situation. Didn’t think of that :s
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Tech Radar seems to be keeping this page on stock updated @MrAllen1976 :) Perhaps there's a way of setting up alerts on different suppliers' websites? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited January 2021
    Woot! I just checked and Game.co.uk are getting stock on the 10th of February, Dad says he's going to message my Brother after tea to see if it's safe to preorder one from there.

Don't see why though, I've been using Game for years both on and offline with no problems.

Turns out all the preorder stock on Game has been bought up, by scalpers who are selling them for stupidly inflated prices on eBay.

Apparently some MPs are lobbying for a change in the law so they can't do it, but with Covid-19 and Brexit currently at the top of the agenda, this has slid down to the bottom of the pile.

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    I dont know how 'tech savvy' you are MrAllen but there is a website called Stockinformer. I have been using this recently to acquire all the parts for the PC I am currently building.

You just make an account and tell it what you are searching for and any time new stock arrives in any of the UK retailers it will email you. If you use Discord you can also set it up to alert you there. I have it set up on Discord on my phone and it has helped me get parts that are going out of stock in minutes.

I've included a link below to the site and the section where it watches Xboxes for you:

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-xbox-series-x
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    I don’t see how they could make it illegal sadly, it’s just part of a free market, it happens with all sorts of stuff not just consoles :(

It is very annoying though and I would welcome an end being put to it if there was a way to do it without effecting other areas of the market

Be thankful that Microsoft aren’t noticing that people are willing to pay more, and just upping the official RRP - some companies would do that!!
  • BrettW
    edited January 2021
    Its already happening in the PC market @66Mustang

Asus has just announced its new range of Z590 Intel motherboards and the top of the range board is now a whopping $1800!

Overclockers UK here in the UK also inflated all the new AMD 5000 series of CPU's to £100+ higher than the MSRP when they realised that they were going to be in high demand and as for the prices of the new generations of graphics cards they priced some of those a couple of hundred above recommened retail prices.

Its not a case of its going to happen its a case of it's already happened :disappointed:
  • 66Mustang
    Oh that’s not so good :(
  • BrettW
    edited January 2021
    yeah those motherboards are between 45-55% more expensive than the last generation models and MSI and Gigabyte have ramped theirs by an average of 25%

Manufacturers and retailers are taking massive advantage of the current situation and theres nothing in place legally to prevent them from doing it.
  • 66Mustang
    edited January 2021
    Just wondering, a bit off topic, but have you also noticed it is the case that in the UK and Europe we get charged more than Americans? I’ve noticed it with products I’m interested in but wondering if it’s the case with computer stuff.

I know we have 20% VAT to pay and Americans don’t have that but often our prices are like 30-40% higher than US prices...not sure that’s all tax...I wonder if there’s a bit of us being taken advantage of!

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Microsoft had stock on Wednesday...an acquaintance posted that he'd got finally got one on social media...by the time I checked they had all gone though! 

As for people selling them for daft prices on ebay...the only reason it happens is because other people are daft enough to pay their prices!!  If no-one paid the inflated prices, they wouldn't do it.
  • BrettW
    Its a bit of a yes and no with that one. Historically computer components have always been more expensive in Europe compared to the US and a lot of the time the price in £'s directly matches the price in $ meaning when converted we pay more.

The thing about the US though is it has a very strange set up regarding tax. Over there the tax level is set by the state and not by central government so it varies from one state to the next. Some states charge considerably more than others.

Because of this manufacturers list a standard MSRP in the US and then depending on what state you are in the tax is added. This means that someone in Washington for example might pay more than someone in Florida because the two states have different tax rates...
  • 66Mustang
    Yeah they do have sales tax that varies by state but even the most expensive state is nowhere near the 20% we pay!

Then again we don’t have to pay for our healthcare so it’s swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I noticed that too with some products, that they seem to just delete the dollar sign and type in a pound sign, so when you convert the currency it works out more expensive :neutral:
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it's a game of patience at the moment @MrAllen1976, now that the hardcore gamers have mostly got their new consoles I imagine they'll slowly become more widely available.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness