Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing

kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
Housing dilemma as I have personality disorder so this affects where I live basically as I get many paranoid thoughts told the council this and rent privately but council are stretched and the rules are complicated so I have to wait for them to house me. Im wondering do I get same benefits as I do now (Esa support group and pip and housing benefit), if I rented a single room etc within a house of multiple occupation or if I moved counties as I will need to move as the current flat is unsuitable for me etc and I won't able to stick it. Would I lose Esa and be forced onto UC?? So confused about what to do 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry about your situation 

If you move it wont have any affect on your PIP 

It could affect your esa and housing benefit if you move out of your area but not always. 

You may have to go onto UC bit your support group would transfer over 

Moving to UC isnt always a bad thing but you really need to get some expert advice either cab or welfare rights 

Moving into shared house could have impact as you are not solely responsible for the rent and utilities so make sure you find out the implications of this 

Hope this helps s bit I know it's not a definitive answer 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    yes, the shared housing situation is foolishly overlooked in planning policies.  Obviously it is the cheapest way to get a roof over your head, and obviously maximum occupation of housing must make the best sense for everyone.  Done well, it could bring inbuilt support networks and communities of people together.  Done well, it could probably double or triple the available housing supply overnight.  Done well, it could free up ground floor or accessible homes and allow downsizing.  The re-purposing of redundant offices and other buildings give an opportunity for community by design, and every new home to be an accessible home.

But what are the chances things will be radically changed, to facilitate doing things well? It must be obvious that the current rigid divide between various home occupancy is in nobody's interests, except speculative builders.  The U.K. system is not practiced everywhere.  There are best practice examples to copy.  Why are people paying silly money for trashy and even dangerous and non eco friendly, non disabled friendly newbuild?

Why are others paying silly unaffordable private rent ?   Why are others living in substandard homes?  Why do home sharers sometimes comprise those most desperately in need, and afraid at times of the sublandlords or fellow tenants, yet equally afraid to protest or even report crime, in case they finish up on the street?  Why do yet other people get awarded the double bonus golden lottery ticket of council housing, at unrealistically low rent, and secure for the rest of their lives, and theirs no matter if they become rich, and no matter if the large family all leaves, and no matter if desperate people desperately need that home?   

Inclusive house share has a lot to offer.  All best wishes to you.   P.S. try to get your own little fridge in your own room!
  • janer1967
    @newborn I dont really think your reply is helping here as the query was about how the op benefits could be affected by the move ? 

It would be more appropriate for you to start your own thread on the subject of shared housing 
  • newborn
    O.K. Sorry, should have not tagged on.   Shared housing, and disabled access housing, and affordable homes, have  been of interest, and really are  often the only affordable solution for a lot of people without buckets of surplus money such as those like the o.p., trying to navigate the benefits system and the housing system at the same time.
  • newborn
    Have I offended you Janer?  You seem to object to a lot of what I post, so I would like to apologise for whatever I once must have done to annoy you, and assure you it was not intentional.  I wouldn't come onto the site with any aim except to try to be informative and helpful and empathetic.   (Even if at times I don't agree with one or other idea, I would explain why, if it seemed controversial)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @kami24

Moving won't impact your PIP as that isn't means tested, however it may impact your other benefits. I would advise checking your would be situation in a benefits calculator, or contacting an advisor through Advice Local.

Thanks for your comment @newborn, and while @janer1967 is correct that your points don't entirely link directly with the OP's question about benefits, it's still an important related issue to discuss and I appreciate your thoughts on it.

I'm sure you haven't offended anybody, Janer was just trying to ensure the thread stays on topic and I'm certain that no harm was intended.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    @newborn no you haven't upset or offended me at all 

Just trying to keep thread relevant to op query 

I can see how passionate you are about housing and disabled needs and your posts are always insightful and of interest 

Just pointing out to you to maybe create your own thread so your views can be discussed on their own merit 

Brightness